Monday, May 12, 2008

Biggest GOMH Pike To Date

I got two Ebay reels in the mail today (Shimano Symetre & Team Daiwa X-103HVA) which was nice. I did some work puting line on the TD X-103PI and put it on the 5'8" St. Croix Pro Glass and I put the TD X-103 on a BPS Crankin Stick with a white Booyah Spinnerbait. I also elected to put a scruffy looking Ebay won TD-S-103HVA on my -7' BPS Extreme rod to see if this might make a good swim jig set up. I headed to the GOMH at 6:30 to put the new gear through it's paces. The jumpers and toothy bullheads were more than willing to test my new equipment. I fished both the SW side and the NE side. I caught the pike in the picture, close to 30 inches and thick, on a green/brown/Chart Monsoor Swim Jig with green grub on the NE (Platte) side. I got another 21" Pike on the NE side on the very next cast, unfortunately this pike ripped up that grub, which was the only one with me and so my hot pike bait went belly up. I had missed a pike on the SW side earlier on the swim jig. The Booyah spinnerbait produced jumping bullheads on the NE and SW sides. I also caught quite a few jumpers on a #8 white X-Rap and #10 Orange/Chart X-Rap.

After 8pm I tried for some silver bullheads. I had a couple of bites on the SE side but didn't connect except with Pike #3 about 20". I went back to the SW side as it was getting dark but there was a guy taking up the bullhead sweet spot. The wind was blowing really bad making it so you could only bobber fish in a small area. The wind was cold and the action was slow so I gave up before it got to dark.

I ended up with 34jumpers, 3 Toothy, 0 silvers and 0 dogfish.

In the picture you can see Pallet Man's pallets to the right of the pike.

No comments: