Friday, May 23, 2008

First Thing...

Tomorrow is the "opener" of the Minnesocold season for Largemouth and Smallmouth bass and I am going to be out first thing in the morning chasing Larry. The first thing I am going to throw is a purple Berkley Frenzy Popper topwater bait in the Platte River Outlet (PRO) close to where the Platte River starts. I don't know if the fish will be keen to topwater first thing in the morning as that it is supposed to get down to 41°F with a SE wind. If topwater is not the thing first thing, I will quickly follow up with X-Raps, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, Super Flukes and rattlebaits. The plan is to fish Platte/Sullivan until around noon. Around noon I will make a decision to either stay on P/S for a while longer or head to Rock. With the warming trend we have been in and with warm weather predicted for tommorrow I don't anticipate having to use slow moving vertical presentations. Pretty much the only vertical presentation I will have in the boat is a JigNpig and Senko's.

Topwater may not go first thing, but I expect it to go at some point once the water warms up.

Updated: I just got back from the GOMH and the conditions tonight were kind of cool and windy. There was not nearly the fish activity tonight as last night. This leads me to believe that topwater first thing is a non-starter as I don't think water temps rose very much today and as mentioned above, it is going to be a cool night. I tied a spinnerbait on my topwater rod and tied the white Booyah spinnerbait on another. Now I'm thinking my first cast will either be a spinnerbait or X-rap.

No comments: