This forecast is concerning. More snow next weekend and no warm-ups in sight. We have a ton of snow out there right now. I nearly bottomed out my auger tonight before I hit water. Any thought I had of an early ice out is now over. We may have ice up here on Easter this year, which falls on April 17th. Probably going to be a nasty water war this Spring.
Monday, February 28, 2022
Sunday, February 27, 2022
Last year I bought myself a new Garmin Fishfinder, a Garmin 7SV. The SV stands for side-view a feature I really didn't explore much last year. This year I want to use side-imaging to help me catch fish and I also want to get better at marking weigh points when I catch fish. Unfortunately, due to the price of gas, I don't think I am going to do too much in the way of new mapping this year.
Friday, February 25, 2022
The Science on why bass are getting harder to catch
Wednesday, February 23, 2022
Monday, February 21, 2022
Sunday, February 20, 2022
The forecast from the Spring Watch I did on the 11th was dead wrong for this week other than today. Instead of Spring-like weather starting today, we are getting "False Spring" today with a snowstorm and polar vortex tomorrow that is supposed to last all week. Looks like we are going to get significant snow in this area. That bites for multiple reasons.
On the positive, I understand that Winter SW of MN has been on the mild side. They have said on the local news that the SW corner of the state doesn't have any snow right now. The snowless ground absorbs heat. Having the snow line just a couple of hundred miles away is good, giving us a few extra degrees when winds are out to the SW.
Saturday, February 19, 2022
Resolution for 2022 was to buy less fishing equipment with a few items I would make exceptions for. So far, I have pretty much stuck to the plan. To get a Mad Maxx Frog, I did have to get a few other frogs. Still, the other frogs were a Bobby's Perfect Sparrow, 2 Ish's Phatties, a KVD Sexy Frog, and a Molix that I read some good things about. I did buy a 2nd Clam Jason Mitchel Meat Stick Rod at the start of February and plan to buy another one in March if I can find one. That rod gives such an upgrade in bite detection from my old St. Croix and Genz Lighting Rod with spring bobbers. I am done with those spring bobbers. I have a bid on eBay for a Gen 2 Tatula rod that wasn't on the original list, but I want one after hearing Seth talk it up on a video. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a hard case to carry my ice fishing rods in.
Friday, February 18, 2022
Thursday, February 17, 2022
Had to go with Cox. (Ok Day 1) (Ok Day 2, need a Top 10 for Day 4.)
Palaniuk is a stud. (Sitting in the Top 10) (Ok Day 2, need him to get back in the Top 10 for Day 4)
Kuphall is my dark horse. (Ruh Roh!) (Bust 87th Place. If he is in Bucket E I am going with him again for Santee)
Looking for a rebound from Hack. (OK Day 1) (OK Day 2, Need him to get in the Top 10 for Day 4)
Gambling with hero or zero Kennedy. (If the bigs show up on Friday, I should be fine.) (Busted and burned 85th Place)
Tuesday, February 15, 2022
Monday, February 14, 2022
Goals not achieved in red
Partly achieved in purple
Commentary in blue
2. Fish with Mike Thompson
3. Fish with Jim Bonin
4. Fish with Mike "Spike" Miller (Fished with Mike in Spirit a few times this summer. Fly free, my friend.)
5. Fish with Jeff and Renee
6. Fish with Todd, Isabelle, and Mallory (28 Trips with Todd)
7. Fish with Kane Phongsavat
8. Fish with Jaimen Abrahamson
9. Fish with Dave Lindmark
10. Fish with Steve and Devin (28 Trips with Steve)
11. Take Corey Hicks frog fishing.
12. Fish with Jamar at Eddy's (I think fished the same night as Jamar twice, but because fishing was crap he was gone by the time I got there both times.)
13. Fish with Eric Aske
14. Fish with Pete (Pete got up here twice this year.)
15. Fish With Josh Abrahamson & Ashley Just
Dream Fishing Buddies:
1. Fish with Josh Douglas
2. Fish with Al Lindner
3. Fish With Nattie Up North
Bass Snatcher Goals:
2. Get "Wood" in at least one tournament. (Got both plaques at Platte/Sullivan)
4. Get paired with Chuck Fields.
5. Finish in the Top 10 at the end of the year. (Pulled it out at Platte/Sullivan. Was a point behind Al who came in 9th)
6. Catch a limit at every tournament of the year. (I've done this twice, but in 2012 I only fished 4 out of the 6 tournaments due to a bad back.)
7. Pre-fish with at least 3 boaters. (Edward, Leech, Serpent w/Lois and Chuck)
8. List the Rods I'm bringing for each tournament before the tournament.
9. Win the Co-Angler Challenge at least twice. (Got it once.)
10. Make the Challenge Cup Team
Technique & Tackle Goals:
1. Win something in Fantasy Fishing or Facebook giveaways/contests.
2. Officially Open the Tackle Warehouse this year.
3. Catch Fish On 100 different Lures
4. Catch 25 fish on a Frenzy Popper
5. Catch 25 fish on a Stanley Phantom
Hack Attack Jig: ||
R2S Bubble Walker: |
- Bobby's Perfect 🗹
- Ish's 🗹
- Ish's Poppin 🗹
- Snag Proof Kicker🗹
- Snag Proof Moss Master 🗹
- Snag Proof Pro Tournament 🗹
- Terminator 🗹
- Terminator Jr. 🗹
- Terminator Popper 🗹
- Teckel Sprinker 🗹
- Teckel Whacker🗹
- Spro King Daddy 🗹
- Spro Bronzeye 🗹
- Spro Popper 🗹
- Spro Sprinker KO 🗹
- Spro Shad Sprinker KO🗹
- R2S Bully Wa 🗹
- R2S Bully Wa 2 🗹
- TT Mad Max 🗹
- LiveTarget Frog ((Pike got it before a bass did)
- Booyah Pad Crasher 🗹
- Booyah Toad Runner 🗹
- BD Frog🗹
- BD Frog (big) 🗹
- Evergreen Soft Shell 🗹
- Blitz Frog 🗹
- Sumo Frog🗹
- Teckel Maracker 🗹
- ScumDog Walker 🗹
- SnagProof Frogzilla 🗹
- Scum Frog Trophy 🗹
- Snag Proof Jr.r 🗹
- Paycheck Baits Transporter 🗹
- LunkerHunt Lunker Frog 🗹
2. Record all fishing trips at Fish Swami (330 Trips, New Record!)
3. Fish at least 200 days and blog about them (I've got some work to do this winter only blogged 120 days so far)
1. Catch* 4,000 Fish (3,051 caught in 2020)
2. Average 5 fish caught per hour. (3.92 in 2020, 4.40 in 2019, 4.07 in 2018, 3.99 in 2017, 4.08 in 2016, 3.62 in 2015, 3.55 in 2014, 4.41 in 2013, 4.31 in 2012, 2.77 in 2011)
3. Have a 100 fish day.
5. Catch A Fish Every Month
2. Catch* over 600 this year. (Caught 834)
1. Win my 3rd Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship
2. Catch an MN State Record fish. (11-4 or 35" x 20")
3. Catch a new personal best.
4. Get the Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship stuff done in a timely manner this year. Still haven't announced that Cyberfish won.
1. Catch* over 1,000 this year. (Caught 927 in 2020) 968 Pike, after mediocre summer numbers and size, came on strong in the fall.
2. Catch a 38" or over/personal best.
1. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Largemouth (6.5lbs/21" PB)
2. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Smallmouth (20.5" PB)
3. Catch* over 1,500 bass this year. Only 1,052
4. Catch* at least 25 smallies. Zero SMB caught this year
5. Catch a 25lb 6 Fish Bag. Top bag was somewhere in the low 20's. I think I had 3 of those.
6. Have a 50 bass day 27Bass on June 15th, just not a good year for numbers.
8. Catch 5 bass over 5lbs/20-inches Think I got 3 Fives this year
10. Get Steve and Todd at least one 4lber
1. Catch at least 100. (Caught 202 in 2020) 62 Eyes, low water collapsed the Fall bite
2. Catch 30"/10lber or new personal best. (28.5 is PB)
* Catch is anything I deem it to be, including follows by pike or smallmouth (while pre-fishing), a pike missing my lure, fish viewed on the Aqua View, and fish that get off before I have them in hand that I can positively identify. And fish caught by people I am guiding or boater during pre-fish.
A goal that I reached is in bold.
New for 2021 in italics.
Sunday, February 13, 2022
MVP was Stetson, a guy who could contend for angler of the year. I think I'm going to get off that horse at Harris Chain and go with John Cox. Am planning on rolling with Hack again.
John held the lead wire to wire, barely holding off a charge by MN's Bob Downey on the final day, but he did and got the W. Congrats, Mr. Crews! Should have put him on my Fantasy Team; I did for Drain The Lake and reaped the huge bonus points.
Saturday, February 12, 2022
This month has been flying by. I think we are at about peak ice this upcoming week, and I don't think it is even 20-inches thick on Bulldog. Therefore I believe ice will be out by April 1st this year. No fooling! I will be shocked if there is ice on the lake on April 1st.
Friday, February 11, 2022
Next Watch: February 20th
Wednesday, February 09, 2022
Monday, February 07, 2022
|Sean McVay And Soon T oBe Vikes HC O'Connell|
Thursday, February 03, 2022
Tuesday, February 01, 2022
My motto on a hot bite is to strike when the iron is hot. The bite was hot in January almost every time I went out. The minimum number of fish caught per hour during a trip last month was 6.4 fph, the only trip I took in the morning. The lowest fish per hour number for the evening trips was 11 fph. I set records for the number of crappies caught in a month and a year (865), average fish caught per hour in a month (15.74), and the average number of fish caught per trip in a month, 54.3, which blows away the previous record of 33.25, which was set last year. Crappie Minnows on a Bear Trax Glow Demon was the top producer with 379 fish. I have a minnow down at all times and when a pod comes through that wants minnows, that is all I have time to fish.