MN Climatology Facebook Page no longer allows people to post to the page. That could be a Facebook thing. Or it could be the department that keeps track got shuffled or is running behind. Who knows.
Wednesday, March 30, 2022
Saturday, March 26, 2022
Thursday, March 24, 2022
...a red-wing blackbird, must be Spring.
|Red-Wing Across 8|
Wednesday, March 23, 2022
The rain we got on Tuesday opened up the Grumpy Old Man Hole. It will be interesting to see how quickly the area opens up. My guess is that the snow decelerated the melting process significantly. The melt and runoff are slower and colder. I need to force myself to be ok with that. Later ice off prolongs the pre-spawn bite, provided we don't run into an ill-timed heatwave. Thinking of ice off on Platte in less than 30 days.
Update: It looks like we are about 4 days behind 2019. The ice went off Platte on April 20th that year. I think April was on the cool side that year after a few lovely days to start the month.
Tuesday, March 22, 2022
Gull Lake: Don't have a lot of time on Gull, so getting a good partner draw is important. I think the lake is on the upswing so I am hoping for a fun day.
Sunday, March 20, 2022
It wouldn't surprise me if lakes in far Southern MN open up starting late this week.
Saturday, March 19, 2022
2. Fish with Mike Thompson
3. Fish with Jim Bonin
4. Fish With Josh Abrahamson & Ashley Just
5. Fish with Jeff and Renee
6. Fish with Todd, Isabelle, and Mallory
7. Fish with Kane Phongsavat
8. Fish with Jaimen Abrahamson
9. Fish with Dave Lindmark
10. Fish with Steve and Devin
11. Take Corey Hicks frog fishing.
12. Fish with Jamar at Eddy's
13. Fish with Eric Aske
14. Fish with Pete
15. Fish with Kiefer for crappies this spring. (Gas Prices and 1 car)
Dream Fishing Buddies:
1. Fish with Josh Douglas
2. Fish with Al Lindner
3. Fish With Nattie Up North
Bass Snatcher Goals: (Same Goals as 2020)
2. Get "Wood" in at least one tournament. (1st-3rd Place Finish or Lunker or Co-Angler Challenge)
4. Get paired with Chuck Fields.
5. Finish in the Top 10 at the end of the year.
6. Catch a limit at every tournament of the year. (I've done this twice, but in 2012 I only fished 4 out of the 6 tournaments due to a bad back.)
7. Pre-fish with at least 3 boaters. (Farm, Gull, S. Long)
8. List the Rods I'm bringing for each tournament before the tournament.
9. Win the Co-Angler Challenge at least twice
10. Make the Challenge Cup Team
12. Give each boater I fish a lure from my collection.
Technique, Equipment, & Tackle Goals:
1. Win something in Fantasy Fishing or Facebook giveaways/contests.
2. Officially Open the Tackle Warehouse this year.
3. Keep a Lures Lost List
4. Catch 25 fish on a Frenzy Popper
5. Catch 25 fish on a Stanley Phantom
Terminator Poppin Frog: |||
Teckel Whacker: |
Herb's Dilly Buzzbait: |
All-Terrain Skip Jig: |
Frenzy Minnow: |
Dark Sleeper: |
2. Record all fishing trips at Fish Swami
3. Fish at least 200 days and blog about them
1. Catch* 4,000 Fish (3,900+ caught in 2021)
2. Average 5 fish caught per hour. (4.96 in 2021, 3.92 in 2020, 4.40 in 2019, 4.07 in 2018, 3.99 in 2017, 4.08 in 2016, 3.62 in 2015, 3.55 in 2014, 4.41 in 2013, 4.31 in 2012, 2.77 in 2011)
3. Have a 100 fish day.
2. Catch* over 1,500 Crappies this year. (Caught 834 in 2021)
1. Win my 3rd Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship
2. Catch an MN State Record fish. (11-4 or 35" x 20")
3. Catch a new personal best.
4. Get the Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship stuff done in a timely manner this year.
1. Catch* over 1,000 this year. (Caught 968 in 2021)
2. Catch a 38" or over/personal best.
1. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Largemouth (6.5lbs/21" PB)
2. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Smallmouth (20.5" PB)
3. Catch* over 1,500 bass this year. (Caught 1,178 in 2021)
4. Catch* at least 10 smallies. (I caught 0 last year)
5. Catch a 25lb 6 Fish Bag
6. Have a 50 bass day
8. Catch 5 bass over 5lbs/20-inches
10. Get Steve and Todd at least one 4lber
1. Catch at least 100. (Caught 62 in 2021)
2. Catch 30"/10lber or new personal best. (28.5 is PB)
* Catch is anything I deem it to be, including follows by pike or smallmouth (while pre-fishing), a pike missing my lure, fish viewed on the Aqua View, and fish that get off before I have them in hand that I can positively identify. And fish caught by people I am guiding or boater during pre-fish.
A goal that I reached is in bold black.
New for 2021 in italics.
Friday, March 18, 2022
Thursday, March 17, 2022
Almost went with Stetson in Bucket A. Mullins is a guy that caught my eye this year, and I've been impressed, so he is who I am going with.
Hack is below standard so far this year. Hoping he catches fire in this one.
A Johnston in Bucket C got to take that.
Palmer in D, same
Auten is a Carolina Boy that hasn't flashed in a while. I am hoping he does this tournament.
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
|Yesterday when I stopped|
Monday, March 14, 2022
|20-inches (Extra 4 from the bottom of the stick)|
In other Spring news, I got the water line from the sump pump dug out today and will attempt to snowblow the backyard tomorrow; the snow depth may prevent that. Decided not to fish today. Hopefully, the temps stay close to this forecast, maybe a bit lower on Sun and Monday.
Friday, March 11, 2022
Wednesday, March 09, 2022
It seems clear that Kirk's priorities in life and a football team that contends for Championships are incompatible. The holes in his game combined with the Viking's squad holes are too big to justify the price tag. If Kirk wants to prioritize the welfare of his family and causes he believes in above winning football, that is his business. He can take his overpriced talents elsewhere. I hope some other team makes us a quality offer for his services. Impress me, Kwesi!
Today was let Big Mack out Wednesday. I had Kaylee along and didn't park close enough to the garage. so Kaylee got a glimpse of Mack and threw a fit. Naturally, Mack took off for the Kia. On the ice, I am not a match for Mack so he took me for a ride. Somehow I kept my feet and stopped myself by sliding into the front of Kia. I did almost let go of the leash when I was about 10-feet from the Kia. Running into the Kia like I did was probably the safer plan as the taut leash helped me keep my balance while I was running.
I got minnows at Bear Trax and stopped at the GOMH on the way home. I am guessing the darker area out from the bridge is where the ice is thinnest
Tuesday, March 08, 2022
Sunday, March 06, 2022
Victory Achieved! He did it. Jason Christie came back to B.A.S.S. with the expressed mission to get himself a Bassmaster Classic Championship, and by golly, he did just that. Christie just edged out Kyle Welcher and Stetson Blaylock, putting a 17lb bag on the scales giving him 54lbs on the dot, which scored me 40 bonus points in Fantasy Fishing and Drain the Lake. Whozahhhh!
Saturday, March 05, 2022
I predict ice goes off Platte Lake on Easter Sunday, April 17th, quite a reversal from my initial spit-balling of ice off April 1st. I think I need to re-train my brain to like ice fishing more and not be so gung-ho for ice off. I've got positive elements to work with to do it. Patience BP, patience.
I think the ice will be off the lakes in the lower 3rd of the State early this year. It has been way warmer down there than it has been up here, and they are supposed to get a soaking today.