Sunday, January 31, 2021
Friday, January 29, 2021
Fishtrap: I think there is a high chance Fishtrap won't make the final cut as we only have one away tournament at the moment. I think there is a strong possibility we will go to Pokegama instead. If it does stay on Fishtrap I like the lake. It is a very versatile fishery with good deep and shallow bites. This will be only my second tournament on the lake. I think getting a limit is more likely than not.
Edward: This will be my second tournament on Edward. I was very impressed with the lake in 2018 when we fished it in mid-July. We had 23 limits get caught the last time. I am optimistic about getting a limit.
Blind: Possible lakes: Cullen, Alexander, Bordon, Farm Island, Bay, Platte/Sullivan, Pelican, Bay, Gull River, Missippi River/Rice Lake, Rabbit, Mille Lacs, and Fishtrap, if it gets switched out. Having Platte/Sullivan in a blind tournament at this time of the year would be a huge advantage for my boater and I. I have the lake dialed. That doesn't mean they will bite, but I know where the big ones live. Would expect a minimum of a 16lb bag if the wind is favorable.
Thursday, January 28, 2021
|Today at the GOMH|
Monday, January 25, 2021
Friday, January 22, 2021
|Didn't get skunked!|
|Mucho Leg Room|
The bib's cell phone pocket is convenient. The full leg zipper is nice.
Thursday, January 21, 2021
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Friday, January 15, 2021
Fishing Goals in 2020
Goals not achieved in red
Partly achieved in purple
Commentary in blue
1. Fish with Dad
2. Fish with Mike Thompson
3. Fish with Jim Bonin
4. Fish with Mike "Spike" Miller
5. Fish with Jeff and Renee
6. Fish with Todd, Isabelle, and Mallory
7. Fish with Peter W.
8. Fish with Matt W.
9. Fish with Dave Lindmark
10. Fish with Steve and Devin
11. Take Corey Hicks frog fishing.
12. Fish with Kane Phongsavat
13. Fish with Rick Nichols
14. Fish with Pete
15. Fish with SarahJean Fishing on the river (I discovered my waders leak badly, so I've got an excuse on this one)
16. Fish With Josh Abrahamson & Ashley Just
17. Fish with Eric Aske
18. Fish with Jaimen Abrahamson
Dream Fishing Buddies:
1. Fish with Josh Douglas
2. Fish with Al Lindner
3. Fish With Nattie Up North
Bass Snatcher Goals: Same Goals as 2019
Bass Snatcher Goals:
1. Get "Wood" in at least one tournament. (1st-3rd Place Finish or Lunker or Co-Angler Challenge)Missed a great opportunity at Rush Lake.
2. Win my 1st tournament. (My best finish to date is 2nd Place.)
3. Get "Lunker" in a tournament. (Preferably one over 5-8 to win the revolving big bass pot.)
4. Get paired with Chuck Fields. (He usually only fishes a couple of tournaments a year so chances of it ever happening are not very good. I may look into bribing Dennis) Chuck sat out 2020
5. Finish in the Top 10 at the end of the year. (Finished 6th) Only made it because of Snatcher Chuck's health issues.
6. Catch a limit at every tournament of the year. (I've done this twice, but in 2012 I only fished 4 out of the 6 tournaments due to a bad back.) Missed a limit in a record 3 tournaments in a year and caught my fewest fish in a full season (25).
7. Pre-fish with at least 3 boaters. Pre-fished every tournament for the first time.
8. List the Rods I'm bringing for each tournament before the tournament.
9. Win the Co-Angler Challenge at least twice Didn't do it once, came in 2nd twice.
10. Make the Challenge Cup Team
Technique & Tackle Goals:
1. Win something in Fantasy Fishing or Facebook giveaways/contests. Bupkis! Nada! Zili!ch
2. Catch a fish on % of Mystery Tackle Box Lures (Holdover from 2017)
2a. 1st Box 100% (5 Lures, 2 Lures to go)
2b. 2nd Box 60% (3 out of 5, only more lure, and I've got this one)
3. Catch a fish on % of Lucky Tackle Box Lures (Holdover from 2017/18)
3a. 1st Box 100% (6 Lures, 3 Lures left to go.)
3b. 2nd Box 100% (6 Lures)
3c. 3rd Box 75% (4 Lures)
4. Catch a bass on the Salmo Bass Bug (Holdover from 2017) Caught pike on it again. Officaly calling this bait a dud for bass.
5. Officially Open the Tackle Warehouse this year. (Opened 4/2/2020)
6. Experiment with the Ned Rig to see if it's something for me. (Holdover from 2018) Thumbs up on the Ned Rig.
1. Blog about anytime I reach a goal.
2. Record all fishing trips at Fish Swami I skipped at least a couple of really short skunks
3. Fish at least 150 days and blog about them 230 days in 2020
1. Catch* 3,000 Fish (2,945 caught in 2019) Made it just barely.
2. Average 5 fish caught per hour. (4.40 in 2019, 4.07 in 2018, 3.99 in 2017, 4.08 in 2016, 3.62 in 2015, 3.55 in 2014, 4.41 in 2013, 4.31 in 2012, 2.77 in 2011) 3.92 I was in the mid to high 4's for most of the summer.
3. Have a 100 fish day. Came up just short with 94 on May 22nd.
1. Catch a new personal best. (Currently 14.25")
2. Catch* over 50 this year. (Caught 58 in 2019) 217 in 220
1. Win my 3rd Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship
2. Catch an MN State Record fish. (11-4 or 35" x 20")
3. Catch a new personal best.
4. Get the Minnesota Bowfin Club Grand Championship stuff done in a timely manner this year. Didn't do anything with MBC it in 2020
1. Catch* over 1,000 this year. (Caught 813 in 2019) 927 Pike Caught this year, which is a record amount.
2. Catch a 38" or over/personal best.
1. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Largemouth
2. Catch a 21plus inch or 6lb Smallmouth
3. Catch* over 1,500 bass this year. (Caught 1,685 in 2019) Only 1,293
4. Catch* at least 25 smallies. (I caught 4 last year) Caught 4 Smallies this year
5. Catch a 25lb 6 Fish Bag 23.01 lbs on August 26th
6. Have a 50 bass day (51 Bass May 22nd)
1. Catch at least 50. (Caught 258 in 2018) 202 Eyes in 2020
2. Catch 30"/10lber or new personal best. (28.5 is my current PB)
* Catch is anything I deem it to be including follows by pike or smallmouth (while pre-fishing), a pike missing my lure, fish viewed on the Aqua View, and fish that get off before I have them in hand that I can positively identify. And fish caught by people I am guiding or boater during pre-fish.
Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Because of COVID, we are submitting our lake choices by email this year and will have a video conference for the first meeting. We can select 3 lakes per tournament.
1. Platte/Sullivan, Edward, North Long
Tuesday, January 05, 2021
|8" Glow Demon/Minnow|
Friday, January 01, 2021
Bass Fishing in 2020: I would have to chalk up some of my lack of bass numbers this year to motor issues. Some of it to low water at the GOMH. Some of it to weed killing in Platte/Sullivan. Some of it to my insistence on throwing the frog; I just couldn't put it down this year. Some of it to the early transition to eyes at Eddy's because of the cold weather and October snowstorms. It also seemed the bite was incredibly inconsistent in 2020. It seemed like my fishing pressure really affected the bass this year more than usual. Also tried and true spots like Green Cabin Bay, Chuck's Point, NW Juice, and the Melon Patch were mostly empty. Everywhere else was sporadic except for the Sullivan Platte River Outlet with Intersection Juice. Overall it was a good, but not a great year for me bass fishing. Grade: B Tournaments in 2020: Inconsistency was the word for 2020 as I yo-yoed between good and poor performances.