Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fishing Report

Tues. 5-20-08 This morning I went to Reeds and ordered what will be my best swim jig rod. It is a Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH which means it is 6'10" Medium Heavy with a extra fast taper at the tip. It is rated for lures 3/8-1/2oz, but my hope is that the extra fast taper will throw 1/4oz swim jigs without a problem. I do not know how much weight a 3",4", or 5" grub tail adds but I would imagine 4" and 5" grubs put the combo close to 3/8oz. I also bought some 30lb Power Pro, 8lb Trilene Florocarbon, Fishing Glue, watermelon jig skirt, and a #12 Purple Perch Husky Jerk. I spent part of the afternoon spooling line, switching reels onto rods, and putting Mend-It to Zoom Horny Toads most of which do not have 2 functional kicking legs.

I headed to the GOMH at about 6:15 and stopped at Bear Trax to get my last scoop of crappie minnows for the year. My "bait card" was full so the minnows were free. Now I am entered into a drawing to win free stuff. When I got to the GOMH around 6:35pm no one was there but Willard. I was kind of surprised because it was sunny and half way decent out at this point; It did get quite cool as the sun went down. I started on the NE side and immediately noticed pink stakes that were driven into the lake. Maybe the Platte/Sullivan channel bridge replacement is going to happen this year. I didn't catch anything on the NE side. I switched to the SE side and caught a few small jumpin bullheads. It was slow so I switched over to the SW side to the pallets and stayed over there the rest of the night. Action was slower than it's been and I did not catch a single toothy bullhead. The "foul mouthed dad" did almost catch one on a minnow. I ended up with 15 jumpin bullheads before I put the "lost jig" down. Most of the jumpers were small with the exception of a chunky 19.25". At 8:15 I switched to a glow Cubby and a minnow, but all I caught on that was two small orange bullheads. I don't think I even had a hit from a silver bullhead. The "foul mouthed dad" managed one nice silver. By 9:10 the current had stopped flowing into Sullivan and by 9:20 it was slowly moving into Platte. I called it a night around 9:35pm.

It's supposed to be quite a bit warmer tomorrow so hopefully that will bring the silvers in for one more go round.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trilene?! I though you knew better. Vicious Fluorocarbon. Just as tough and much cheaper....Swimming jigs is not my specialty at all. I'll keep track of how you do with these things and hopefully pick something up from it.

Basspastor said...

I don't think Reeds carries Vicious and I don't know if Gander Mountain does either. Sorry to say it but PLine would have been my second option.

Swim Jigging is fishing for dummies. Just cast it out and reel it in at a fairly quick pace. If you want it to run deeper slow down the retrieve a little bit. When a fish hits reel a little faster and give the rod a quick pump so it loads up.