Sunday, January 23, 2011

True Confession: Burner Pt. 2

My True Confession was that I didn't have a 7:1 Burner Reel and don't have plans to buy any.

In the Comments Josh Douglas asks:
I have to ask why? I love fast gear ratio reels and though I understand there is times and place for other ratios, I'm still intrigued on why you have no plans?

I'm by no way saying that your wrong, it always comes down to personal preference. Just more curious for the reasoning?


It's fair question, so I'll answer it.
When it comes to baitcasting reels I am a Daiwa Man. I really like the old Team Daiwa X-103 and Team Daiwa S-103 reels. In their day, those reels had just about the best line pick up per handle turn you could get, so I consider them to be a little faster than the average 6:1 reel. All but 5 of my baitcast reels are TDX's or TDS's. Of the remaining 5, 4 are Team Daiwa Fuego's which have even more line pick up per turn than the TDX by a couple of inches. To get a 7:1 I would either have to get a Zillion or a Steez. Steez is out of my price range and that is probably the case even with a used 7:1 Zillion, although I've never seriously looked into getting a Zillion.

Basically it comes down to the fact that I am happy with the reels I have now, and my thinking that if they were fast back in the day, that is good enough.

3 comments:

Josh Douglas said...

Good enough for me. I hear ya all the way. When I like something, I like it and really don't think to change it. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Josh Douglas

samyander said...

Makes sense to me. I think I just got used to my Quantum reels, and got into it just when the 7:1's were more common. I feel like I can tell a difference between my 6:3 Accurist and 7:1 Energy PT , as far as pulling in line. (And quality..) Now, I'm drooling over the new Smoke reels. I'm not ready to buy another reel yet though...I don't know that it will make me a better angler, but it sure feels good to try out that new stuff.

Jeremy Thornton said...

BP I'm all about the 6:4:1 Revo's. The last part of your post sums it up, it's all about what you have confidence in. 6:4:1 works for me and I don't see a need for anything faster. But then again, I'm not a very talented angler so who knows.