Friday, April 16, 2010

A Little Better Bite...

Once again today it was windy and it was cooler than it has been in a few days, but 57°F is still 2 degrees above average. I think the warm weather we have been having is starting to have an effect and the fishing is improving.

Today I got out around 5PM and got 2 bass while trying for Dogfish at Bulldog. I then went to Rock and it was dead, the Rock Dock still not in. Went back to Bulldog didn't get anything, so I headed to the GOMH. The were two guys and Bucket Man fishing on the SW side on no one on the SE side, so that is where I went. I started poppin bullheads right away on a 2" Storm Wildeye Swim Shad. The first one was a small jumpin bullhead that managed to fight his way into the bullrushes. I was concerned for a bit that I might end up breaking him off because of the 4lb test Fireline, but I was patient and eventually was able to pull him in. I got 2 small toothy bullheads and one more jumper on the Swim Shad. I switched up to the glow Cubby and a minnow under a bobber and it took about 4 seconds before my bobber went under with another jumpin bullhead. I proceeded to catch a couple more jumpers pretty quick then it slowed down. At some point a Dad and his young son and daughter came down to fish with me on the SE side. I offered for them to fish on the rocks where the fishing is pretty snag free, but the boy made a cast right into the junk and came out with nice orange bullhead. The kids somehow managed to pull a few more fish from the junk when they weren't snagged up.

At some point Rapala Boy showed up but instead of coming over to fish next to me with his Rapala, he went on the SW side and fished with a bobber. He caught a nice orange bullhead and a few silvers as well.

At one point the bobber went down and I knew I had tied into a good one.
She went 18.5"

As the sun got lower the guys on the SW side started landing a few silver bullheads. I was not paying attention and my bobber went under. I looked over to see where the bobber was and it was nowhere to be seen, so I reeled in some slack and set the hook into my first silver bullhead of the night.
Next fish was another jumpin bullhead. But then I found a good spot and nailed 2 silvers pretty quickly and then it slowed for me, but the guys on the SW side were getting em pretty consistent. I managed 2 more silvers close to the bridge when it was dark enough that I needed a lighted bobber.
For the night at the GOMH I had:
5 Silver Bullheads
7 Jumpin Bullheads
2 Toothy Bullheads

No comments: