Monday, April 21, 2008

Weather, Lure Casualties

Weather: It was warm today for awhile I think it may have made it slightly over 70°F then a front moved through and we got rain and a thunderstorm. It came down pretty good at times. It is supposed to get cool tonight but not below freezing and tomorrow is supposed to be low 60's.

Lure Casualties: Before the rain I did get a couple hours in sorting plastic baits. I discovered a bunch more torn baits that Mend-It should be able to fix. I asked on Tackle Tour Forums about whether Mend-It works on Slop frogs or not and a guy replied and said that it has worked for him on SnagProof frogs. I ordered up some Mend-It today.


Another lure casualty that I observed today was my collection of Zoom Trick Worms. I have several packs worth in a variety of colors. When we had our cabin at Sylvia/Twin I used to just kill the fish on these. There were times I would almost go through a bag a day and Trick Worms come 20 to a bag. Up here on Platte/Sullivan I recall only catching a couple on Trick Worms and I flat out just don't use them much anymore. I bet I haven't used one in at least 2 years. Trick Worms don't skip all that great compared to a Zoom Super Fluke so I don't use them for dock fishing. Also my swim jig fascination is taking up casts in situations where the Trick Worm shines. I can't say if the Trick Worm is going to have a spot on my rods this year or not.

"GET ME TO THE LAKE": According to the DNR as of today there are now 26 lakes which they moniter that are ice free. 2 lakes have "Partial Cover" designation. Only 4 of the 10 Twin Cities lakes are open. I am surprized that Lake Gervias in Ramsy County is not open as that is usually one of the first to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BP,
Figured I would return the favor and say hello. I was curious about your trick worm comments and Sylvia. How were you using them that worked so well over there? Any special colors?

Keep up the good work with the blog.

Sport
www.SportSmithFishing.com