Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weather: It was cool and cloudy in the morning, but by the afternoon it was partly sunny and got into the low to mid 60's. It was breezy, a good day for melting ice. Tomorrow we might get some afternoon rain and thunderstorms. I am hoping for a deluge of warm rain 8 miles to the North.

More Tackle Time: After I finally woke up this afternoon and got done playing with the dogs I had some tackle time. Today I was messing around with soft plastics. I have a lot of messed up Zoom Horny Toads, I think I better invest in some Mend-It soft plastic lure glue. I sorted my Horny Toads, senko's, plastic worms, drop shot baits, Super Flukes and tubes. I need to do some work on my plastic worm sorting and there was a whole tub full of plastics that I did not get too.

Swim Jigs: A technique that I have taking a shine to in the past couple of years is swim jigging. A swim jig is basically a rubber skirted bass jig with a cone shaped head for the purpose of making it weedless. You fish the jig much like you do a spinnerbait. To add action and bulk the prefered jig trailer is a 3" to 5" twister tail grub. Since I am new to the technique I have bought a bunch of different grubs to try out and today I also sorted those. I have Zoom's, Kalin's, Lindy Munchies, CyberFlexx Super Plastic, Gander Mtn, Mister Twister and a couple of other types in various colors. I think it is going to be a while before I settle on some confidence jig trailer combinations.

Although I have not yet caught one doing it, I bet that the swim jig is a pretty good Dogfish presentation. I almost caught a Dogfish on a white swim jig last year on Mille Lacs bass opener weekend. Unfortunatly the boat was passing over the fish when I got the jig in it's mug, it struck but did not hook up. The boat spooked the fish and I didn't get a second shot at it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't used mend-it before, but I should considering all of the plastics I toss for very minor rips and tears. I could probably save myself close to $100 a year in doing so.
I am with you. I see (buy) many baits with the intention of using them as swim jigs. Unfortunatley I haven't spent the time and effort to learn the technique. I will be sure to share any info I learn on this tactic as I use it more. Hopefully you will do the same.