Monday, July 11, 2011

Small Night

I had to run an errand into Onamia tonight, so naturally I made a trip up to Eddy's Jetty on Mille Lacs. As I drove up the lake I was not encouraged by the North wind that was putting good sized waves on the West shore. The waves were basically big enough to wreck any hope of topwater. I started on the South Jetty and didn't get anything. I moved to the North Jetty and was chucking a Texas rigged green pumpkin Lake Fork Crawtube, when I thought I felt a hit but it let go right away. A couple of casts later I got another hit and this time it took it and I brought in this one eye'd 18.25" Mille Lacs Mule.

I fished for about another 45 minutes and gave up because I didn't think the wind was going to diminish.

Next I headed to Kathio State Park to see if the MN Government shutdown meant I could go and fish the dam on the Rum without having to pay to get into the park. There was a gate across the road so that was a no go.

Next I headed to the bridge over the Rum on the North End of Shakopee Lake. I went down to the SE side and cast a black/blue Lake Fork Crawtube on a tube jig. On the first cast I had a hit and brought in this 15.5" largie that wanted it.

I released the bass and cast back into the river and a fish just about ripped the rod out of my hand. First, I thought it was going to be a big pike, but then I saw it was a bass and by the way it was scrapping so hard I figured it had to be a smallmouth, which it was. Just like the one at Mille Lacs it went 18.25" but wasn't quite as chunky.


After a few more casts I missed a small bass, then I tried so topwater. I had a small pike hit a purple Berkley Frenzy Popper as I was lifting it to bring it in the fish came off and fell into the water at my feet. I could see the feathered treble still in it's mouth. The pike swam off before I could grab it. I thought maybe the split ring failed, but when I looked at the Popper the back end had cracked and given way, which sucks cause now that one is ruined. But better on a little pike than big bass in a tournament.

I threw the green pumpkin Crawtube and I think I missed a good hit with that or maybe I just got stuck in the rocks for a second, either way I didn't get anything. I went back to throwing the black/blue Crawtube and got one last small bass. I then went to see if I could fish the Rum at the South end of Lake Onamia, but once again people were already there, so I just went home. I decided not to hit the GOMH.

No comments: