Thursday, July 07, 2011

GOMH BOOM!!!

Once again today I was up all night. I took the dog out for a walk around 5AM and it was kind of cloudy. I thought that might be good for fishing. So I grabbed a few rods and headed off to the Grumpy Old Man Hole. First lure on was the Think Tank Triggerfish and I think I missed one hit on that. Next I put on my new bluegill Lucky Craft Kelly J Jr. and right away I connected with this dude.

I was happy to catch anything and a couple of casts later I hooked into this 17.25"

I think I might have gotten one more small fish on the Kelly J Jr. and then the action stopped. I then picked up the Mad Maxx Frog and fished the slop for about half an hour without even one hit. There were sunfish active in the stuff but apparently no bullheads. I back close to the bridge and started throwing the Kelly J again and picked off about 3 small jumpin bullheads real quick and I missed a couple of other bites. I packed up to head to the South side, but then I realized I hadn't fished the craw tube around the bridge yet, so I put everything down and started casting that. Good call. I missed a good hit right away and a couple of casts later I hooked into this 20.75" toad.


This is the biggest bass I have caught in a few years. I cast back in and had to let out some line, when I reeled back up I was caught in the rocks and a fish had picked the craw tube up. I didn't get a good hookset and the fish jumped and got off. I then went to the South side of the bridge and caught a few small jumpin bullheads on the Kelly J. and a 14.25" on the craw tube. I also caught a toothy bullhead out of the slop with a Mad Maxx Frog.

Next I headed to Jenny's. I mostly threw a Snagproof Ish's Phat Frog on my St. Croix because of the casting distance I can get on that rod. I can throw the frog at least 20 feet further on this set up than I can with the Lamiglass Excel. I missed a small pike, caught a small pike, and had one other bite that didn't get the frog. Around 8:45AM I went home.

No comments: