Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tentative Bass Snatcher Tournament Lakes 2010

Well it isn't looking good for the lakes I wanted to fish. Since I am fairly new in the club and a non-boater I didn't throw out any of my lake choices, but several of them did get voted down at one point or another. The schedule won't be cemented until the end of our Feb. 6th meeting.

So here are the lakes as we have them and my initial thoughts (Lakes in order fishing)

Whitefish Chain- It's an OK fishery that I have pre-fished and fished a tournament on for a grand total of 2 days on the lake. I did well pre-fishing, the tournament was a disaster and I have barely seen any of the water on this somewhat large chain of lakes. There is a pretty good chance my partner will have a lot of experience on the chain.

Farm Island- If this one holds it will be my 1st repeat lake for the site of a Snatcher Tournament. Like the Whitefish Chain, I regard it as an OK fishery where there is a good population of fish, but the quality maybe isn't top notch. I do like the lake.

Cass- This is a lake I and the club has never fished before and I didn't vote for it because I don't necessarily want to travel that far. That said this lake may be a diamond in the rough. Last year the Excel Circuit fished the lake twice and it showed out with some big bags and big fish. I don't know anything about how it fishes, but I think it may be Leech Lake like shallow weeds deal with lengthy runs required to get there.

Le Homme Dieu- Another lake I and the club has never fished and I didn't vote for because of the travel factor. I am actually quite surprised the club has never fished it because it hosted the Minnesota Federation Nation State Tournament in 2005 (bass blogger Rich Lindgren took 2nd). It would seem from those results, this place is a peanut factory which I suppose can make for a fun day on the water if I can fish the way I prefer and get lots of action doing it. I can tell you right now I want to throw a Berkley Frenzy Popper.

Washburn- I didn't have a clue about this lake and thus I didn't vote for it. This 1,500 acre lake is in SE Cass County North of the town of Outing. The club fished this lake in 2005 and 1995 and the 2005 results don't make the lake stand out and the 95' results make me wonder why they ever considered it again. The lake has clear water and unfortunately no smallmouth population like say Woman, Little Boy/Wabedo, Roosevelt, or Serpent. I have zero clue about how it fishes other than the fact that weedline/dock guys dominated in 2005. A lake where more than half the field in 2005 couldn't get a limit concerns me.

Serpent- If it holds this would be my 2nd repeated tournament lake as a Bass Snatcher. Serpent was the sight of my best showing in the club (3rd Place and Lunker). I would be a lot more enthusiastic about this choice if Smallmouth were in season because I would want that option to be available. The tentative date for this one is Oct 2nd. Smallmouth were not an option in that 1st tournament either because that one was in late Sept; Also some very good fishermen stumbled at that tournament which gives me some pause about the bass population in the lake.

1 comment:

Fishing Gears discount codes said...

Thanks for the info.
Surely its going to be a good event!