Saturday, January 22, 2005

My Bass and I

A worthy read into Minnesocold's declining sized Pike, aka "The hammer handle scandal." (the BP came up with that, thank you very much)

Besides fishing bass, I really enjoy fishing for northern pike. I'll have to say that I've been noticing this for quite some time now. I'm also sure that everyone else that has any sort of interest in fishing pike has as well. Last year we went up to Pelican Lake northern fishing and about 8 pounds was the best we could do. The year before that I went up to Leech Lake and the pike were nothing more then hammer handles, although a few were ok, in the 3-4 pound range.

Platte Lake has been hammer handle central for the last few years but I did catch some many 3-5lb one's this year. And that Scuzz Bucket CyberToad got a 38" mid to high teener out of Sullivan, which is connected by a channel to Platte. He got it on a Snagproof Frog in either July or August in like 2 feet of water. What is with that. Naturally it was caught and released, unfortunatly no camera in the boat, Doe! The Pike was nowhere to be found a couple of weeks later in the Big Jaycees Platte/Sullivan Pike Tournament.

No comments: