Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Thoughts on Hooks for Buzz Toads/Frogs

I love to fish Zoom Horny Toads and other plastic buzz toads or buzz frogs. Finding the best hook has been an evolution for me. The first hooks I tried were offset wide gaps. They seemed to rip the nose of the bait up immediately upon getting a fish and the hook up ration didn't seem to be the best. I was not satisfied.

The next hook I tried was a Mustad Power Lock Plus EWG Hook

I really liked this hook as it was awesome for hookups and kept the bait usable for multiple fish provided you used super glue with the plastic keeper. The problem is that super gluing is a pain. The Hooks are also expensive at a buck a hook, never the less I bought a bunch of them.

Next hook I tried was the Greg Hackney Hook from Tru-Tungsten
For me, these things were so messed up they never even saw the water. I couldn't rig them on the hook well and they ripped the plastic badly.

The next hook I tried was a Zoom Horny Toad Hook:
These seemed to work pretty good, but I had a problem with the springs stretching out or falling off.

One day I saw some Owner Beast Hooks and bought them.

I thought the Beast was a great hook, but they are more expensive than the Mustad Power Lock.

I also gave the Owner TwistLock Open Gap Centering Pin Hook a try.

These are a little less expensive than The Beast, but still more expensive than the Mustad Power Lock. Using this hook has really sold me on the superiority of the Owner Twistlock Centering Pin Spring...
...over and above the Power Lock plastic keeper on the Mustad Hook. The Twistlock is just the best thing for durability because you can twist it in to the plastic in multiple places and you don't have to mess with super glue. Thankfully you can buy Owner Twistlock Centering Pin Springs and put them on yourself. I plan to cut off all my Mustad Power Lock plastic keepers and replace them with the Owner Twistlock Centering Pin Springs.

Bass Fishing Blogger Tyler Brinks is high on the Stanley Ribbit Double-Take Hook

These look to be something similar to the Gambler Double Trouble Toad Hook.

I don't think I will be trying these because the Stanley Hook is more than $1.50per hook and the Gambler is almost $2.50 a hook and up here in the north country you lose many toad hooks to pike.

I think the Twistock Pin with the Mustad hook will make for the ideal combo.

2 comments:

Art Simms said...

Dave, I dont use a horny toad too much but when I do I use the same hook I use for flippin soft plastics, a 3/0 mustad megabite. This is a very strong hook, thats why I use it for flippin, seems to work well on the toad also, havn't had any problems.

Art

marich said...

hi everybody this is a nice website about bass fishing.You will got the best information.so check it out..

http://mybassfishingpro.com
#1 source for FREE bass fishing tips and strategies.