Friday, June 26, 2009

New Computer Up and Running

Things have not gone as smooth as I would have liked them to at this point. The guy I bought the computer from was going to transfer all my stuff from the old computer to the new computer with some program and a special cable. When he tried to do it we learned that the software was not compatible with Windows Millenium Edition which is the old computers operating system. RATS. The next hitch is that the guy did not want to take a check and he did not let me know that when I went to his place this morning. We ended up driving to Onamia just to find out that the bank there would not cash a check for me. I don't get it, the gas station and grocery store have machines that verify a check is valid but a bank can't do that. I didn't know my PIN so the cash machine was out. It turned out that he forgot his special cable so we drove back to the house and I paid him with the cash I did have, which was a little less than half of the full amount. He ended up taking a check for the other half.

Now for the biggest glitch of them all. I was able to find and save the multitude of Internet Explorer bookmarks I have accumulated over the past 6 years. I found a folder named "Favorites" in the new computer and plopped the information down. Problem is that this seems to be the wrong folder and I cannot find the right one. The Internet Explorer Help talks about "importing" favorites, but the instructions given for some reason don't match up with what I am able to do. There is supposed to be an available drop down menu that just doesn't exist when I hit the "Favorties" tab. I have concluded that I am stuck exactly where I didn't want to be, the process of rebuilding my Favorites manually is going to take a long time.

Otherwise things seem to be OK. I got my Mom's Outlook Express email stuff squared away and I don't think I am going to have any problems transfering the other stuff I want on this computer. It is just going to take some time and effort.

The new computer specs are that it is 2.7Ghz up from 1Ghz on the old computer. It has a 100 gigabyte hard drive up from 40 and has 1 full gigabyte of RAM, up from less than 200 on the old machine. The operating system is Windows XP, so that is a big upgrade.

I don't know if it is the IE8 or the monitor control panel settings but the size and look of websites are quite different with this machine. Everything is smaller, the spacing is much different, and even some of the fonts on the blog look entirely different.

1 comment:

Fish Whisperer said...

Ah technology, you gotta love it.