Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl 42 Thoughts

I am sorry but Eli Manning does not deserve to be the Super Bowl MVP. On the game winning drive he threw a pass that absolutely should have been picked off and had two other throws that were up for grabs and could have been picked. If anyone on offence the MVP should be David Tyree for making that spectacular catch that kept the final drive alive. That was the play of the game and it was as good a catch as your ever going to see. Tyree not only kept the ball from being intercepted but managed to hold on despite the defence being all over him. Without that catch, I think it doubtful that the Giants win the game.

Speaking of the other QB; I don't think Brady had that good of a game. He missed throws to open receivers on several occasions. Sure the Giants were getting a fair amount of pressure, but Brady was definitely off his normally dead accurate self.

The Giants defence was really the game's MVP. I have to give the Giants credit, they beat the best team in NFL history when it mattered the most. I am shocked.

The Commercials: I do not think there were any truely outstanding one's. Most were quite forgettable. I think my favorite was the car commercial where the squirrel ran out in in the middle of the road and the squirrel plus many others got wide eyed and wide mouthed at the impending carnage of an on coming car, only for disaster to be averted when the car was able to nimbly swerve out of the way.

Puppy Bowl IV: Did you watch Animal Planet today? If not you missed out on what is now my favorite Super Bowl tradition: The Puppy Bowl. If you haven't seen it, it is a TV show where a bunch of puppies of different breeds are put in a mock up football stadium where they play for the cameras. You can see the "Puppy Players" here. My favorite has to be the biggest puppy of them all, Bruin the Alaskan Malamute.

This puppy just lumbered about compared to all the other puppies running all over the place. Good Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with you about Eli. Before he got it, I was thinking who it should be. There wasn't one player on that team that really stood out above the rest.

While I know he would never get it, one of the heroes of that game for the Giants was the punter. They said he leads the NFL in pinning people inside the 20. He did that all night to the Patriots never giving them great field position off punts.

Chris