Friday, October 02, 2009

Preview: Challenge Cup- Baxter Bass Snatchers vs. Range Bassmasters

This tournament is for club bragging rights between the Baxter Bass Snatchers and the Range Bassmasters, which is another Brainerd area bass club. This year the event is being held on Upper and Lower Mission Lakes. I will be partnered with a boater from the Range Bassmasters Club named Emmit Smith. I know Emmit has a reputation as a very good bass fisherman and I've been told by guys in my club that he is a shallow water guy that will most likely take me up into the reeds and pads. This tournament poses a dilemma for me in that I normally don't care about getting my half the day in the front of the boat. However, the way this tournament sets up for the sake of the club I have been advised to take command of the ship for the 4 hours alotted me according to the rules.

The only time I have fished on Upper and Lower Mission was at the last Bass Snatcher tournament of the year last October, so all of the spots I know on the lake are those of a guy in our club; he has given me the go ahead and use them up tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be cool/cold with rain possible and a 10mph wind out of the N NW. I have no clue what the cold snap this week will have done with the fish, especially shallow fish. If I can hold my own in shallow I may just do that all day, but if things are not going well I will definitely take it to the weedlines. Hopefully fishing will be good and I will bring in a better bag than several of the Range guys. I figure as long as I can beat a few of the Range fishermen that I will have done my job.

No comments: