Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bait Monkey Attack

It started out innocently enough. I was at Gander Mountain browsing around not planning to buy anything but on the look out for clearance deals when the bait monkey struck. On the shelf for $100 was a Shimano Crucial CRC-X68M which is a X-Fast 6'8" Medium Action rod. $100 is 33% off the regular price. Oh man, visions of Berkley Frenzy Popper magic went off in my head and I just had to have it.

One thing does have me a little perplexed. It is called a Medium rod but the lure weight specs are 3/8 to 3/4oz which is the same as the lure weight specs for my Crucial CRC-X610MH which is their 6' 10" Medium Heavy rod. The rod specs diverge on the line lb test range with the CRC-X68M recommend range being 8-17 lbs and the CRC-X610MH's being 10-20 lbs. The CRC-X70M is their 7' medium rod and has a line rating of 8-17lbs, same as the CRC-X68M, but it's lure rating is 1/4-1/2oz.

Upon further review of the Crucial Casting Series line there are a number of inconsistencies in the way the rod actions, lure specs, and line specs come out.

Why all the concern about specs? Berkley Frenzy Poppers are 5/16oz which puts them well under the 3/8oz range.

I guess I will just have to do some product testing when I get a chance.

4 comments:

BassFishingDem said...

Old banana breath didn't get me that bad, but I did splurge on some Bottom Dweller spinnerbaits yesterday. Gotta be careful this time of year. Things go on clearance every now and then.

Light lures are pesky things. My 7 foot medium light cranking rod seems to handle a lot of small lures. I lost one good fish on it, but I think that had more to do with the fish flipping on me than the rod's ability to handle the fight. It has a 1/16 to 1/2oz lure weight rating.

Clif said...

"I was at Gander Mountain browsing around not planning to buy anything"

We all know what you were really up to. The bait monkey lives in the rafters there.

Rick said...

Could you explain your referance to Berkley Frenzy Poppers? Do you know much about them? I have been usin that popper against a Super Spook and the popper has caught more and the biggest fish. Been tying to get some more of them.

Basspastor said...

Rick- I thought it would be a good rod for throwing Berkley Frenzy Poppers, which I throw a lot. At the bottom of the post I added a Berkley Frenzy Popper tag. If you click on that link it will take you to a bunch of my other posts that contain Berkley Frenzy Popper items.

Can't say that I used that rod much with the Frenzy Popper which I normally throw on a Loomis IMX783C.