Friday, October 30, 2009

Not Gonna Do It (Maybe)

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm lazy.

I was given the chance to do an interview with Bass Legend Denny Brauer and CEO of Ardent Reels Mike Brooks for the blog, but I just don't feel like doing it, so I am not going to take advantage of the opportunity.

Basically they wanted to do some promotion for the Ardent F700 Denny Brauer Flip-N-Pitch Reel

It sells at Tackle Warehouse for $200

I guess this reel is an upgrade from the original F500 Flip-N-Pitch about which I heard some mixed reviews. The reel is definitely a unique concept. I don't do a whole lot of flipping and pitching so it isn't really a reel I would ever consider purchasing for myself.

I am sure that doing the interviews would have contributed something to the blog, but what that is I'm not quite sure.

I am hoping that the same offer will be extended and accepted by bloggers Rich Lindgren and BassfishingDem because I'd like to see what they would do.

Update:After thinking about it some more I emailed the contact to see if I changed my mind down the road if the offer would still stand. He seem to indicate that this would be the case. Maybe it will happen after all. I just need to think about it some more.

7 comments:

Clif said...

Added something to your blog, and maybe added a reel to your box

Sport Smith said...

I am guessing Rich would jump all over it.

BassFishingDem said...

I had the exact same offer extended to me last week. I was suspicious, but enthusiastic, but now my suspicions have been confirmed. It sounds to me like a marketing thing. I guess they want to get as much info out there about the reel that they can.

I'm like you. I don't have much of a need for the reel. I do a lot of pitching though, so the reel appeals to me in that respect. I'm just not sold on the weight of the reel, especially at the price. When I'm pitching, I'm frequently alternating between pitching and making long casts.

It also makes me suspicious of all the recent searches for "bass fishing blogs" resulting in visits to my site.

I'm a little disheartened by all the attempts at marketing in the angling community. Joining Facebook has been a double edged sword. Twitter isn't quite as bad, but it happens. I'd hate to think that getting the bloggers to do the advertising for them is their new strategy.

Clif said...

I can't blame them for wanting to market their products. I just hope the "interviews" are fully disclosed as paid endorsements.

Basspastor said...

A Couple thoughts:

Denny Brauer's name is ON THE REEL, so it's pretty obvious that he would have a financial interest in promoting the reel.

As far as helping people promote products on my blog. I usually am happy to do it but I have also have turned down people. It just depends on the mood I'm in and my initial impression of the product.

Clif said...

Do the interview, if they'll still let you, and ask the tough questions.

HellaBass said...

I was not extended this offer, but Ardent did approach me about their culling system, which I think is cool, but I told them I would need one to review to promote it and their it died, so basically when I would not give them free promotion, they did not want to talk to me anymore.