Friday, October 03, 2008

Bass Snatchers Mission Lake Preview

Tomorrow is the last Baxter Bass Snatcher Club tournament of the year and it is on Upper and Lower Mission Lakes just North of Brainerd. For the 6th time this season the tournament is on a lake on which I have no prior experience. The lakes are suppose to be pretty decent for quantity and quality bass. My partner Dennis is currently in the lead to be the Anger of the Year of club "Mr. Bass." Dennis has achieved this honor 3 other times (97,03,06). He prefished the lake 2 times and is generally optimistic about things and believes we should both be able to catch a limit.

My one and only goal for this tournament is to get my 6 fish limit. If I do that than I will be one of 8 anglers that have ever achieved this goal in the 31 year history of the Baxter Bass Snatcher Club. In those 31 years a person catching a limit in all 6 tournaments during a season has been achieved only 16 times. There are 5 of us who have a shot at this achievement going into Mission and the other 4 guys have done it at least once.

Mission Lake apparently is a diverse fishery where the bass hang out in the slop, extensive reeds, weed flats, weed lines, and docks. From what I understand the Upper Mission Lake has more water clarity than the lower lake, but generally they are both fairly clear. Dennis says we will probably spend most of our time on the deep weed edge and on the flats. He doesn't want to go into the reeds or slop and at this time of the year the dock fishing opportunities will be limited. I plan on throwing a spinnerbait a lot, a jigNpig some, maybe a buzzbait, and rattlebaits. I am really hoping that the fish will be active and the horizontal presentations will rule.

It is supposed to be a cool but sunny morning with temps rising to 60 or so with light 5 to 10mph SE winds. Wish me luck.

No comments: