Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Tight lipped and spooky.

I don't know if it was the creaking and cracking of the lake building ice or just today's high pressure front, but the fish I encountered tonight were negative as can be. They would come in on occasion usually just underneath the bait, look at it for 2to10 seconds and then swim off. Last year these basin fish tended to the agressive side, usually if you saw it you caught it. Not tonight.

Oh, the pick of the lake was Platte. We got back around 2:30 from Mom's birthday lunch and I either could have gone straight to Mille Lacs or out to check "the hole" to see if the ice was safe. I decided to take Pattie for a walk out to the hole. No problems Mate! 5" to 6" on the last part of Platte lake to freeze. I then went back and rounded up my stuff. Marked perch right away but didn't even fish them. I was trying for Pike at first. Then after the sun went down most of the way I switched to Crappies. I only got one about 6" but probably had more than half a dozen to a dozen take a look. Sorry No pics, I did almost take the camera out to show a fish that lingered on the Vex before it left, however, I really thought I was gonna get that one to go. I think there was an eye messing with a big minnow just after dark but it just nipped and never commited. The bite was just off tonight. I will probably hit Mille Laction tomorrow.

Also, it seems everything locked up last night as predicted and it's cold out tonight as well.

No comments: