Friday, April 01, 2022

Goodbye March!


 


The way February ended, and March started, I had high hopes that I might be able to catch 1,000 crappies this month and have a 100 crappie day. But then we had a snowstorm, the big school on Bulldog broke up, and fishing wasn't the same. Eventually, I opted for splitting time between sunfish shallow and crips at dusk. Then after a sloppy rain/snow, I abandoned The Dog for Rock Lake. I did a lot of Aqua-Vu Fishing after I decided to split time between shallow and deep. March 26th was my first open water trip to the Grumpy Old Man Hole. It was a cool to cold month, with only a brief warm-up there in the middle. One big snowstorm and several nuisance ones. Jason Christie won the Classic, and Tuma had a great time finishing in last place. I attended my first Baxter Bass Snatcher Banquet. And despite starting the month with deep snow in the yard, there was not a single water war; I did have a pump out in the yard running for a couple of hours. I babysat Mack for four nights while Steve, Kim, and Dev went to Haley's wedding, and the rents left for Florida in the middle of the month.

There was not a single ice-free lake listed in MN for the month. It will be interesting to see how fast the ice goes out this year on Platte. Right now, I'm thinking somewhere between the 20th to the 25th. I hope I have a week's worth of ice fishing left, but that is questionable with rain and warm temperatures in the forecast, maybe on Sully. Late ice-out should bring excellent fishing in May, and hopefully, we will continue on the weekly precipitation train.





No comments: