Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mille Lacs Lake, We Hardly Knew Ye

The DNR has released the 2016 fishing regulations for Mille Lacs Lake.

They didn't highlight the part about not being able to keep bass until May 28th.  So that along with the new bass limits and slots put the kibosh on the Bass Snatcher tournament we had planned for May 21st.  What is the club going to do now?  I guess I'll find out on April 9th when we have an emergency meeting.

As for the new regulations themselves I have no problems with them.  I think going to all catch and release with artificial's only for walleye was the best coarse of action that will impact the smallest amount of people.  There are other ways to catch walleye's than dragging live bait on rigs or under bobbers.  The launches have the ability to apply for an exemption to the no live bait rule.

On the bass end of things, I think the 17-21" protected slot combined with the 4 fish limit should be sufficient to protect the trophy status of the bass in the lake.

I like the fact that they are protecting the 30-40" pike.

I give the DNR one :
  (They would have gotten two thumbs up had they left the MN Opener for catch and keep for bass this year.)

No comments: