Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Magic Lure

I took a faded rainbow trout color Rebel Floating Minnow from my Uncle's tackle box when I was probably 16 years old. I took it because it was magic on bass, pike, and walleye; It made them appear out of nowhere consistently. I caught dozens of fish on it and some really nice one's. One day when I was probably around 19 I got a hammer handle pike on it. As I swung it into our old Alumacraft boat it came off and the lure hit off the side of the fishing boat and broke the back inch and a half off clean. I was devastated and pissed off for about 15 minutes. I decided to cast it out and it still had the wild action to it and two remaining trebles, so I decided to try and modify it. I glued a paperclip into the body and then put a cut up Sassy Shad Tail on it, so it was kind of like an AC Plug thing. The bait was as good as new with the tails on it. I continued to catch dozen's of more fish on it. 

Then when I was 26, I was shore fishing with it on a small 5 acre lake in Canby MN where I was a Youth Pastor at the time. I had a decent size pike bite it off. About a week and a half later I was fishing from shore again and there it was sitting up against the shore. I couldn't believe it, I got it back. Then that Fall it got stolen out of out of my car along with the tackle box it was in and about 3 rods. My magic lure was gone for good.

That was my favorite jerkbait. I bought several more Rebel Floating Minnows but they were all dud's.

No comments: