Tuesday, November 18, 2008

BassFan has an article about Al Lindners son Troy who has put together a health and fitness manuel for tournament anglers.

Here are some tips excepted from the manual on tournament day nutrition with my impressions on the advice:

Rules of thumb:

Don't let your blood sugar crash, and thus lose energy.
(Sounds good)

Bottled water or pure fruit juice is better than sugary pop or even sports-type drinks. (I go with a Coke and a gallon of water so I'm half way there)

Try to eat foods that are easy to eat and easy to keep in hot/warm/or cold weather. (Okie Dokie)

Eat food that doesn't require forks, knives or spoons. (Duh! Although that sandwich Herman made for me on Farm Island might have required a utensil to make, I forget)

Unsalted trail mixes with almonds or cashews and dried fruits are good – however, it's best to lose the chocolate. ("lose the chocolate" SACRILIDGE!)

Fruit-nut bars, like Kellogg's, are among my favorites. (Whatever floats your boat, I'm keeping my Kit Kats, Reeses, and Hershey Bars)

Fresh fruit like apples, peaches, pears, etc. are all good. (I don't think I'll be taking this advice anytime soon.)

Food that takes a lot of processing usually isn't all that good. (So what your saying is the bologna or sliced ham and processed cheese have to go, No way Jose!)

The fewer steps between nature and stomach, the better. (Not on my watch)

Of coarse I am competing for a couple of ugly plaques, not my livelihood over 4 days.

No comments: