Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Kramer On Co-Anglers

George Kramer of the blog Kramer Gone Fishing asks Does the public really want co-anglering?

Here is some of what George has to say:

If we could go back to putting all the players on an even (and higher) footing, I think some good things could happen. One, the rewards captured would be more appropriately distributed via performance. That would then elevate the most worthy performers (many now procos), and in turn, the public would benefit as the information pipeline to all the best competitors would be flowing.

Or–we can keep doing what we’re doing–and not really be satisfied.

Go read the whole thing for the full picture.

George seems to be calling for a return to the days of Pro/Pro draw tournaments. I think George is insane. Pro/Pro draw has got to be the worst fishing format that has ever been tried. Is it an accident that the Pro/Pro draw format has gone the way of the dinosaur in money circuits from sea to shining sea? I think the only place intentional boater/boater draw still takes place is within the ranks of the B.A.S.S. Federation Nation. As far as I can tell it only exists in the Federations still because of long standing tradition and clubs often have more boaters than non-boaters so they have to have boater/boater draws. My Bass Club and the MN State Federation Nation is done this way and personally I wish it wasn't. I think fishing out of someone else's boat under most circumstances is an inherently uneven playing field. I don't think it is really fair to the boater either. As far as I'm concerned it's their ship and they should get to run it as they see fit all day.

I guess I am not seeing the same problem that Mr. Kramer wants to fix. Who is dissatisfied except maybe Pro's who don't want to have to deal with Co-Anglers at all?

No comments: