Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Platte Lake Ice Out Prediction for 2020

Well, it is time for me to give my official Platte Lake ice out date prediction for the year.  Last year my pessimistic prediction was wildly off the mark as Spring kicked into gear during the second half of the month and never looked back.  This winter has been on the snowy and mild side.  We got the snow early which insulated the Lake so ice depths at this point are below normal or at least that is what I've heard.  I haven't drilled a hole yet.  Also, we had high water at the start of the winter so we have had current moving through the lake.  We have as much open water right now at the Grumpy Old Man Hole as we did on March 22nd last year.  We have a lot of snow yet to be melted and that is going to take a while to happen.  I suspect we will see ice start coming off lakes in the Southern part of the State in the third week of March.

I predict ice will be off Platte Lake on April 8th this year

2019 Prediction May 9th Ice Off Date April 20th
2018 Prediciton April 22nd Ice Off Date May 2nd
2017 Prediction March 29th Ice Off Date April 1st
2015 Prediction April 20th Ice Out Date April 3rd

Long term forecast looks like temps mostly slightly above average with no big warm-ups just the way I like it with so much snow around.
 


No comments: