Sunday, February 21, 2010

Kevin Van Dam 2010 Bassmaster Classic Champion- Analysis


Kevin Van Dam is so good at bass fishing it is shocking. Like golf, fishing is an individual sport that rewards good technical mechanics, raw physical abilities, mental toughness, mental intelligence, and something golf doesn't have which is anglers intuition. I think I can confidently say at this point that Kevin Van Dam has proven that he is the best bass angler ever to posses these skills and traits. Don't get me wrong, Rick Clunn had/has all these features in spades and is like none other. However, I think Kevin is showing domination in a time when the level of competition has never been higher.

A question that is entering my mind after the finish of this Lay Lake 40th Bassmasters Classic is whether Kevin had the best spot in crowded Beeswax Creek or whether he was simply the best dimensional fisherman in Beeswax Creek? The standings in this one bear out remarkably that the best place to be fishing on Lay Lake the past 3 days was in Beeswax. If I am not mistaken all of the so called Super 6 were in Beeswax catching fish. The top 3 all fished close to one another but not in the exact same water and they all hoarded their specific area for the vast majority of time in the tournament. I think the answer to my question is that there was a little of both. The fact that Kevin's area gave up the two biggest stringers of the tournament tends to favor the answer that he was in fact in the very best area. However, the fact that KVD, Jeff Kriet, and Todd Faircloth were all pretty much using the same category of lures I think favors the answer that Kevin was the best dimensional fisherman. While I don't know yet all the exact lures KVD caught his fish on I am confident that all of the top 3 guys were primarily on the very best pattern which was lipless crankbaits. Because KVD has an Elite Series win on Lake Toho that was a lipless crankbait pattern proves he is a virtuoso of that particular craft.

And lastly let me conclude that it speaks volumes to Kevin's level of ability that he bagged 51lbs 6ozs which blew almost every pre and during tournament prediction out of the water. I think measured by the numbers head to head this 2010 Bassmaster Classic will have proved to be tougher fishing than what went on when Boyd Duckett won in 2007; Still that did not stop KVD from convincingly beating Boyd Duckett's winning weight this year.

No comments: