Saturday, May 10, 2008

No wind No Good

I arrived at the Eddy's Jetty at 5 to midnight and much to my dismay I found a flat lake. There were quite a few people fishing off the Jetty. I got my stuff together and headed to the South Jetty which was open. At midnight I threw my first cast and promptly donated the Rapala Husky Jerk Purple Perch that I had so much success on last year to Mille Lacs Lake. I did not have the reel adjusted properly and when it backlashed the line cut at the spool and sent the Husky Jerk hurling into the darkness. I don't care much for the precedent this set with that Crystal Fireline I put on last fall. At about 2 minutes after midnight while I was trying to pick out the backlash someone sent up two volley's of fireworks that ended with loud booms. My guess is that in the calm conditions it probably could be heard over the whole southern end of the lake.

I got the backlash picked out tied on a Glass Perch Husky Jerk 12 adjusted the reel and threw out my 2nd cast, no lost lure this time. After several casts I got a feel for the area and I was hitting rocks almost right away. That is not a good sign if you want to keep your Rapala's. I probably would have headed to the North Jetty but a couple of guys were fishing that corner, so I elected to go to plan B.

I went back to the truck and retieved my bobber set up and minnows. I got the first cast out just fine but on the next 3 or 4 casts I ripped the minnow off the hook. I did finally get my casting down. Even though there was no wind to speak of and the lake was glass, the bobber always slowly made it's way toward the Jetty. I really didn't need to have my bobber lighted as the light from Eddy's Marina was plenty good to illuminate my big bobber. At one point a guy fishing the Center Jetty saw 3 walleyes swimming along. More excitement was a 3.5 foot muskie cruising along in the shallows next to the Jetty. I did not catch a fish, nor did I see a single fish caught. No wind No Good. I quit around 2AM.

Maybe the daylight will bring better fortunes.

No comments: