Friday, May 09, 2008

2008 Minnesocold Fishing Opener Eve

OK, so bass season doesn't really start for another two weeks, but it is this weekend that is considered the MN Fishing Opener because the state fish, the walleye, opens up tonight at midnight. Northern Pike also open up for biddness. I will start the Opener at midnight off the Eddy's Jetty just like last year. Weather.com is calling for 3 MPH NE winds which is probably a good thing. Off the Jetty it is all about the wind and some form of East wind is good times. I've got to go and get my Rapala Husky Jerks tuned up and I will also have Fatheads and a lighted bobber. The forecast calls for rain to move in right about sunrise and stay all day into the night. If it rains I doubt I will get the boat out. I figure I will just hit the GOMH to try and entice a few bullheads. On Sat. night the winds are supposed to pick up to 10mph out of the NE.

I will probably fish the GOMH for bullheads tonight. I need to pick up more bullhead minnows along with thos Fatheads.

Fishing Report: Before heading to the GOMH I went to Rock Lake to make sure my Husky Jerks were tuned in and didn't sink. There were less sinkers then I thought but at least half the lures needed to be tuned. No wonder I caught nothing on most of them last fall. At about 5:30PM I was done and headed to Bear Trax for some minnows. The lady who did the minnows took my minnow scooper out and forgot to put it back, agggggh. I then headed to the GOMH.

When I arrived there were 3 guys fishing the SE side and 3 guys fishing the SW side, but no one was standing in the upper area of the SW side so I set up camp. Almost right away I hooked into a nice silver but lost it as I tried to pull it up to me. That set the tone for the way things went. I missed a bunch of bites, had fish come off, and lots of times the bobber would go under for a second but would come right back up. There were a number of boats fishing the Sullivan side GOMH bay. I could see them catching bass, crappies, and sunfish. Fishing on shore at the GOMH was mostly slow with a flew flurries of jumpin bullheads.

As it was a ways into primetime and I wasn't getting hit Willard suggested that I switch up my jig. I did that and caught a keeper silver and two little bullheads then a jumper, but then the action died. I found out that Grumpy Old Man #4's name is Bud. At some point Jenny Olson's niece Pam showed up and she and this guy started fishing from the bridge. The guy got a silver, then Pam had a nice one on that she lost when she tried to pull it up and then she had a jumper get her caught in the weeds on the SE side and it ended up with a broken line.

The fish just never went for me. A guy and his son were fishing off the pallets and they ended up with about a dozen or more silvers and one orange. The Dad also caught 2 Dogfish or maybe the same Dogfish twice. As it started getting pretty dark I got fed up and left. I got 5-8 jumpin bullheads and 4 small silver bullheads. My next cast will be at midnight with a purple perch Husky Jerk 12.

No comments: