Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Grumpy Old Men

Lee Ander takes some casts...

Willard does not want to be photographed...

5-6-2008- I headed to the GOMH around 5PM and when I arrived there was a truck with a guy in it sitting on the SW side shoulder. I parked on the NE side and got my gear together and headed over to the SW side. Lo and Behold the guy in the truck was Lee Ander aka Grumpy Old Man #2. Before I started fishing I filled him in on the details of how the fishing has been. He told me that he just had eye surgery and how he had flu and pneumonia earlier this Spring and was in the hospital for a few days. After catching up I started to fish while Lee Ander stayed in the truck. I was throwing a small jig and twister tail and eventually hooked into a small jumpin bullhead. With that Lee Ander got out of the truck and came out to fish. He didn't have minnows and didn't try any when I offered him mine.
I started fishing with a glow Cubby and a Minnow and started catching a few jumpin bullheads including a 19.75". The action was slow but steady. A number of vehicles stopped and left and then it happened; Willard, aka Grumpy Old Man #1, made his first appearance of the year. Willard didn't come to fish but to fling the BS. Willard was his usual comical self and he actually bore some good info regarding the planned rebuilding of the GOMH bridge. At one point a Conservation Officer Kuski(???) stopped by and chatted with Willard and he had info about the planned rebuilding as well.

One of the guys who fished last night showed up with a teenager and started fishing. I caught a few small jumpers and he wasn't getting anything. Sometime after 8PM I got my first silver bullhead of the night and it was a keeper. I put it in the bucket and it proceeded to bleed out for some reason. I caught 2 more silvers before the other guy caught his first. We then had slow but steady action until I left around 9:45PM. I ended up with 6 keepers and no dinks. The other guy and the teen had 5 keepers and 3 lost fish when I left. I didn't get any fish when I went to the lighted bobber.

No comments: