Friday, January 14, 2005

The Pundit's Revenge

I was over at the message boards of one of the more popular bass fishing sites on the net called Bass Fishing Home PageTM (Other Topics)

Some dude name Jack said this about ESPN/BASS and FLW Tours:

"Both organizations cut the pot about 40% of the entry fees and pocket the sponsorship money as well."

I was a bit shocked to hear this and wanted to know if it was true and so I investigated. I discovered that this guy Jack was dead wrong and spewing total BS. People who talk trash and have no factual basis judge bug the Pundit beyond measure. Here is my reply to Jackass Jack that I left on the Fishing Home Page board.

I'm sorry but the numbers just don't add up to what Jack is saying. I checked the FLW's Pro entry fees this year for the regular tournaments which=$2,750 x 200Pro's=$550,000 vs total payout to the Pro's which is $765,000. That means $215,000 more is going out than coming in entry fees; that is not a 40% cut for FLW but a 18% increase on fees paid in. I didn't run the numbers on the higher paying tournments or figure in the championship payout which has no entry fee, but undoubtly the % goes up not down.

For Co-Anglers the entry fee is 600x200=$120,000 for a payout of 134,500. Payout for the Pro and Co is over 100% in FLW and I would be willing to bet it's the same on the BASS tour.

I think it's pretty clear that those who are around here saying things like Jack are badly in error and don't know Jack about what they speak.

I'm not affiliated with FLW or BASS and just am an avid fan of Pro Bass Fishing with a passion for finding the facts. It is a pet peeve of mine when people take cheap shots based on ignorance.

The BP

No comments: