Sunday, January 23, 2011

Swindle Wins, But...

Swindle's First Win in the Books

Question: Does an Open win really count?

My answer: NO! An Open is a Class AAA, not a Tour level event. Sure the Open field is made up of pretty good fishermen and some of them are full time anglers, but most are not.

When he beats the field with KVD, Skeet, Ike, Martens, McClelland and on and on, then I will give him some credit.

That's my take! Anyone disagree?

More- Well it seems some disagree and there is more I can say to make my case, so I will.

I follow tournament bass fishing pretty close and in the 194 Angler field I recognized just 34 names. Of the 34 names I know I would only consider 12 of them to be on or near the top shelf of tournament bass fishermen; Only 2 of these 12, Bobby Lane & Terry Scroggins, can be considered best of the best and they only are considered for that status because the Tournament was on Toho. It's simply NOT a Tour (top) level win and shouldn't be considered as such. Any other conclusion is "dumbing down the world."

More- B.A.S.S. Opens don't count in the BassFan.com World Rankings. According to the BassFan.com World Rankings Swindle was the best angler in this tournaments field, he didn't have to beat a single angler in front of him in the BassFan.com World Rankings.

3 comments:

Thoughts of a Christian Bass Fisherman said...

I dont know man. he did just make the Classic for sure so that has to count for something.

Jeremy Thornton said...

Eh....does it matter? He got 57k for the win and it was a BASS event. Pius the dude makes 500k a year in sponsorship money..........so I'll give him credit, not that my credit is worth anything.

Bama Bassin said...

I gotta say YES it counts! He beat out a 194 man field consisting of the 30+ anglers with name recognition, hungry "AAA" anglers, and a bunch of local Toho studs.