Friday, April 02, 2010

Bullheads!!!

Patti woke me up about 6:15 this morning and when I took the dogs out I was surprised by how warm it was, about 60 degrees. I got it in my mind that with these warm temps maybe some bullheads moved in at the Grumpy Old Man Hole.

I arrived at the GOMH around 7:30AM and there was a guy fishing the SE side with minnows, so I took up the SW side. He said he caught 3 nice sized largemouth but nothing else. About 20 minutes after I arrived he caught about a 18 inch jumpin bullhead.

I ended up switching lures to a 2" Storm Wildeye Swim Shad because I saw some baitfish activity and it got absolutely choked by a jumpin bullhead. Look at how far down in the mouth he was hooked.

This fish was on the skinny side but went all of 18 inches.

A little while later I had another hit and another bullhead was tugging away. As you can see this one was hooked right in the lips.

This fish went 17" but was a much healthier fish and probably outweighed bullhead #1

The guy had left by the time I caught my fish and there was a long lull, so I headed over to take casts on the SE side. I was over there for quite a while, but eventually did catch about a 13" jumpin bullhead.

Eventually I gave the NE side a try then call it quits about 10:15AM.

5 comments:

MNAngler said...

Fun!

That's a pretty thick jacket for 60 degrees. You'd think it was still winter.

BTW, interested in your thoughts on my post about LH vs RH baitcasters. Pls comment if you have a few mins.

Esox Fever said...

Nice basses!!!

Hope the first one didn´t cause you many problems to unhook it.

Michael Thompson said...

Them aint bullheads, they is CARP! yuk!!

Rich's Bass Blog said...

Man, them are some big crappie lures

Basspastor said...

Those 2" Storm Swim Shads catch big crappie and really the lure really is close in size to a fathead.