Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Bit of a Disappointment

Today the weather was a very nice Spring day, lighter winds and sun. You would think on a day like today the fishing would have improved, but instead it kind of took a step back as far as the crappies are concerned.

Here is the days story.

I hit the water before sunrise hoping some of them silver bullheads would be active in the morning. They weren't. I took up the SW side of the Grumpy Old Man Hole and all I could catch were a few jumpin bullheads. I got one that was 18+" and I think this one was 17."
Right around sunrise another guy showed up and started fishing the SE side. He did get a silver bullhead along with some jumpin bullheads and an orange bullhead or two. Eventually a guy who was fishing the SW side of the GOMH last night showed up. I didn't stick around long after he got there. I went home and went to bed.

About 4PM I headed out the door to get minnows, drop fish off at Jenny's, and go fishing. The Bulldog access had people so I moved right to the the GOMH. I was surprised that when I arrived no one was fishing there and so I set up on the SW side. I caught two toothy bullheads right away and then it was nothing for a very long time.
As the day wore on several boats arrived caught nothing an left and people started accumulating on the Shores of the GOMH. Grumpy Old Man Willard showed up and I gave him a tip about some orange bullheads and he actually fished, catching 1 real small orange bullhead. Also tonight was the first time I've seen Grumpy Old Man Lee Ander come to fish. Lee Ander got a jumpin bullhead soon after he started fishing. By the time prime time arrived there were 7 other guys on the SW side with me including the dude from last night/this morning, his buddy, Bucket Man, Rapala Boy and his dad. I think there were 3 guys including one of Lee Anders grandsons on the SE side and a guy or two on the bridge. Eventually a few jumpin bullheads started to get caught and a father and son next to me brought in quite a few orange bullheads on what looked like small hair jigs below a bobber. I managed to get 2 jumpin bullheads and missed a couple of other bites that very well could have been orange bullheads. For all those guys fishing I think I saw 7 keeper silver bullheads landed before I left a little after 9PM. I didn't get a single silver bullhead, not that I would have kept one for myself if I had.

1 comment:

Fish Whisperer said...

Nice fish. I enjoy reading your reports with all of the names you give people. Keep it up.
Tight lines