Monday, April 05, 2010

BP Update

I haven't posted in the last couple of days because I have not been fishing and was in the hospital. I suppose many of my readers do not know that I had a heart attack in March of 2003, when I was 33 years old, that left me with a heart that functions at about 50% of a normal hearts capacity. On Wednesday of last week just as I started fishing I developed some pain in my upper back. At first this wasn't concerned because I have been dealing with a similar problem for the last few years. However, later that night the pain lingered after I stopped fishing which had not happened before and I grew a little concerned. Basically things didn't start getting better like they thought they should have and finally on Easter morning at about 5AM I was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Onamia because of my back and chest tightness. The tests came back negative for heart damage/heart attack but I stayed in discomfort even with medication so I was held overnight for observation last night. Today I was feeling better and was released from the hospital, but tomorrow I will be going down to the cities to get an angiogram to check for developing blockages that could be causing the problems. If there are blockages hopefully they will be able to be fixed with stents and I should be fine in a few days. More serious blockages would most likely require bypass surgery and that would seriously suck.

There is also the possibility that my problems are not heart related at all, but are back/shoulder issues that are directly linked to and exacerbated by fishing seeing as how the problems started when I started casting again. I am none to thrilled with this possible outcome either.

Anyway, no matter what the outcome I probably won't be fishing or blogging for at least a couple of days.

5 comments:

BassFishingDem said...

Muscle discomfort related to casting was my first thought after reading your post too. Course, I wasn't the one who did the history and physical. Heck of a time to get put out of commission.

Hope the docs get it all sorted out. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer what I can. I haven't been able to post much either lately. Been busy. Three posts are currently works in progress, though.

Anonymous said...

BP...of course everything is going to be just fine! ...there is lots more fishing to do. The fish are calling your name (big smile) ;)

I'm with you and BassFishingDem...I too am having a tough time posting lately...a lot of personal "stuff" that is making it difficult right now.

Michael Thompson said...

Sounds like all the bullheads are straining you! seriously though I am glad you are having it checked out, that is smart, i will say prayers for you!

Josh Douglas said...

Feel better Dave! Looking forward to reading your blogs as soon as your up and running again!

- Josh Douglas

MNAngler said...

I hope it's nothing serious. Either way, the docs here in the Cities will get you fixed up so you can get back to GOMH.

Take it easy, BP. We're all thinking about you in the blogosphere.

Unlike BassDem and Tami, I seem to be posting a lot lately. I must be the only one without a life.