Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shocking Development...

The Ice is Out on Platte Lake!!!


I arrived at the GOMH around 6PM and to my astonishment there was open water as far as the eye could see as I looked North over Platte Lake. I thought maybe the ice was going to be off by Saturday, this is just stunning. I thought there was a pretty good chance I would catch a bullhead or two tonight but it was dead.

Tonight was the first Grumpy Old Man sighting as Willard was sitting in his truck when I got there. He didn't get out ice fishing this winter and is really looking forward to catching some fish to eat. Willard reported that the ice went out on Erskine today as well.

I left the GOMH while there was still a little bit of light out. I went to the Platte public access and all I saw was open water. Then I drove to Bulldog which is about 44% open at this point. Then I went to Rock which was fishable and maybe 25% open. There actually was a little bit of ice on the North end of Platte, but I consider Platte Lake open when you can get from Jenny Olson's access to the Platte Lake public access and there would be no problem at all making that trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Shocking Development..."
Bass Pastor, you really make even the most simple things very interesting. Keep posting...I love reading.

Clif said...

Are you sure bull dog wasn't 46% open?