Saturday, December 26, 2009

Stupid Stupid Stupid



This is what is known as a "slat socket" they are used to anchor the bows that you use to hold up a boat cover. Unfortunatley the heavy snow we got Christmas day was to much for the top rim of two slat sockets that were holding the bows on my friend Pete's boat which we are storing outside at our place. When the metal top rims gave out the fiberglass bows ended up ripping holes in the boat cover. Not good at all.

When I looked at his boat yesterday everything seemed fine and it looked like the wind was helping to keep some snow from accumulating on the boat cover. Because of the depth of the snow in the yard I did not go over for a closer inspection. I am a bit surprized this happened because the snow we got up here while not powder was not super wet and heavy either. Apparently it was wet and heavy enough combined with the colder temps we experienced last night. I think the colder temps made the metal of the slat sockets brittle enough to give way.

This winter we are also storing The Trophy outside and I put two covers on it, but it's set up is pretty flat across the top. The double cover held up just fine.

No comments: