Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bass Fishing without a rod???

I am sorry but the idea of catching bass without a rod has exactly zero appeal to me. In the winter I really don't enjoy tip up fishing that much. I don't really care for the line stripping that is done in fly fishing either. I love the feel of the tug on the rod and playing the fish with a winding reel.

UltimateBass.com blog has some good articles on worm fishin, pre-spawn and reel care...

Slop Frog News:

I've been over at Cabela's looking at lures and reading some product reviews. I was reading reviews on the Spro Bronze Eye Frog. A re-occuring theme in the reviews and the #1 complaint about the bait was difficultly with hook ups. Now bass do miss topwater lures outright 10-15% of the time and you don't have a chance for a hook up in that case. But if the fish does get the frog with proper gear you should hook up and probably catch the fish 80% of the time or more. I think people are probably not using heavy enough equipment and aren't doing a wicked enough hookset. Braided line is a must along with a long rod with a lot of back bone. I use a 7'3" St. Criox Avid Flippen stick and have found this rod to be perfect for Slop Froggin'. There are a number of rods out there now designed specifically for Slop Frog fishing. I say if your not hooking up it's a failure of the fisherman and his equipments, not on the Bronze Eye Frog.

Speaking of Frogs, Cabela's has come out with it's own house brand Chuck-It Frog.

It is a handsome frog and at $5 bucks a pop, I'll have to try it.


Another New Frog is the River2Sea Bully Wa Frog

This frog is supposed to be excellent for walking the dog. At $6 a pop, I'll have to give these a try too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wicked hookset huh? You're right. Over the past few years the Potomac River (which I fish allot)has seen a radical influx in hydrilla and milfoil. The bass use it. Now grass rules and unless you go far enough down river like Skeet does, you can throw wood right out the window. With that being said, you have to be proficient at using the new frog style baits as mentioned. For me it's a 7'Quantum Dean Rojas Signature series rod with a high speed quantum reel and 65lb. Power Pro Braid. I get very long casts in open fields and solid hookset. but the real challenge for me hasn't been the hooksets. It has been the proper equipment to get the bass in through the salad.