From Minnesocold, Bass Fishing Blog Capitol of the World!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

TBT# My 1st Baitcasting Reel


Throwback Thursday-I bought this Shimano Bantam Mag Plus 250SG XHS reel at Little Jim's in Annandale MN in probably  1982 or 1983 for $69.99 plus tax.  I can't remember anymore if I bought it in the old store or at the one they have now.  I think it was the old store, but memory isn't the greatest.

Dad only fished with spinning gear, so learning how to cast this thing was solely up to me.  I read the instructions from cover to cover and there was nothing telling me how to properly adjust the reel for casting.  I promptly went out and backlashed it so bad the reel was unusable.  When I got back home, I got new line to put on it and I learned to cast in my back yard.  Many more backlashes followed, but eventually I figured it out.
 The reel has a magnetic brake.  I have never been able to get comfortable throwing a reel with centrifugal brakes no matter how hard I tried with them.  Probably the biggest reason why I am such a Daiwa fan now, magnetic brakes.

 
5:1 was considered Extra High Speed.  My how things have changed.  As I recall the big selling point for me at the time was Quickfire Free Spool, aka the thumb bar.  I didn't want one that had a mettle push button and this one didn't.  The reel served me well for many years and still is in usable condition.  I have had it on an ice fishing rod since the early years of this century.  Seeing as how I have stopped ice fishing, I don't use it anymore.

4 comments:

Lewis Hammer said...

I don't suppose I could con you into making copies of the manual? If I said pretty please.
I think the dear wife chunked my box in a cleaning fit sometime.

Amery Barry said...

Good, i was looking for log designer, but now i assign some one. i will remember you next time.
baitcaster

Dorothy said...

Interesting blog and I really like your work and must appreciate you work for the khmer cast net fishing.
khmer cast net fishing

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
If someone want to know more about Best Baitcasting Reel
I think this is the right place for you!