Monday, March 21, 2011

I Could Go Fishing!

Today I was out and about before tomorrows Winter Storm and this was the view from the Grumpy Old Man Hole.



(Click to Enlarge)


There was a bit more open water than I expected to find and the water level was way lower than I expected. Water level seemed to be just about normal to a smidge high. There were a few people ice fishing up on the North End of Platte Lake and a couple of people ice fishing on Sullivan. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot at the Shakopee Lake public access, but I only spotted a couple of groups out on the lake.

This year the ice better be out by Easter which is April 24th, which is the same date as the latest ice out I've seen on Platte Lake since I moved up here. My guess is ice out on Platte will be somewhere around the 15th. We are suppose to run into a cold spell in the next few days, but after the past few days there has to have been a lot of run off into the lakes and a lot of the ice melt comes from the bottom up.

I also went by the Rum River where it flows into Shakopee Lake. The Rum was ice free, but I didn't see any signs of fish.

2 comments:

Clif said...

What? No driveway thaw serial this year?

Basspastor said...

I suppose I could still do it, by this time last year the driveway was clean. Driveway was about 25% clear today. But we are getting a Winter Storm right now and the driveway will probably 100% covered again tomorrow.