Sunday, January 10, 2010

Packer Arizona Loss Facemask Controversy


The Packer Nation will sure to be squawking about this one. In the replay you can see that the defender who knocked the ball out of Aaron Rodgers hand ended up getting Rodgers facemask as Rodgers was brought to the ground. In defence of the refs, I would assume their eyes were no longer focused on Rodgers at that point but instead were looking at the ball which was loose and live. I don't think it helped matters that the ball bounced off Rodgers facemask down and in the opposite direction to which Rodgers was tackled. I didn't see the facemask until reading about it online precisely because while watching it on TV I was 100% focused on watching where the ball went. They do not do replay to check for uncalled penalties, so the Pack faithful are just gonna have to sulk in their misery.

I am no expert in the rules of football, but I think had the facemask been called it would have still been Cardinal football at the Packer 31 yardline because the fumble preceded the facemask.

Update: I had a hunch blogging about this might be good for some blog traffic. I was right.

Also Cheeseheads should note that couple of weeks ago I didn't protest the facemask on the Adrian Peterson fumble in Da Bears game.

No comments: