Monday, December 08, 2014

I Got Out!

Bulldog Special On the 1st Drop
3:35-5:15PM
Cloudy 10mph Breeze out of the SW 25 or so degrees.

How deep they were 25'-15' over 29'
Well I got out to Bulldog Lake today.  I am definitely not in the kind of shape I was in the last time I ice fished.  I left the power auger at home and it was all I could do to drill 2 holes in 11" of ice.  Fortunately fish were under the first hole I drilled.  It took me a few seconds to get the Vexilar reading the bottom;  I had to wipe off the bottom and then it worked.  I put T.H.E. Jig down the hole and quickly caught my first crappie,  a 7" Bulldog Lake Special. I caught a total of 10, the biggest of which was 8.75" between orange/chart T.H.E. Jig and a small orange/glow Fat Boy.  I used a wax worm on both, but caught a couple with no meat.  They were pretty aggressive when I first got there, but then got finicky after I lost several of them on the way up.  I ran out of propane in my heater after about 20 minutes.  All I had for light was my head lamp.  I definitely was not the most efficient fisherman in my first trip out on the ice in 8 years.  Those mistakes will be corrected the next time I go out which will probably not be until Thurs.  I may or may not go to Bulldog again.

No comments: