Sunday, July 03, 2011

Early Morning Mille Lacs

Today I decided that I would give Mille Lacs a try to see if I could get an early morning smallmouth bite. I arrived at Eddy's around 4:30AM and there was a fair amount of light at this time, especially in the East, but it was still dark. I set up on the North Jetty because you can cover more area there. I was kind of hoping there would have been a bit of a mayfly hatch, but there wasn't. I started out throwing my black Deps Buzzjet, but that didn't get anything. I switched to the Repo Man and didn't get anything on that. It was pretty calm and getting fairly light out so I put on a gold Berkley Frenzy Popper. I had a fish just barely take the BFP and it was only hooked for a couple of seconds. I don't think it was a very big fish. I kept moving down to the North and about 5 minutes later I landed this one. How big do you think it is?
That was the last action I would get on the BFP. I cycled through a number of baits. Around 7AM the sun was up and it was pretty bright out, so I tried a blue silver Lucky Craft Gunfish. A fish took a swipe at that but didn't hook up. I started switching lures and when I was using my Yellow Magic Popper a fish started swirling at something on the surface. I quickly reeled in and threw to the spot, but it didn't want it. I cycled through more baits with no more hits and left around 7:30AM. Not great, but better than a skunk.

Answer: The fish was 13.75"

No comments: