Monday, February 11, 2008


2008 Bassmaster Classic Qualifier Charlie Hartley is blogging his way into the classic:

It's called "Charlie Hartley's Classic" because that's what it really is — my classic. I've been waiting for this my whole life. That's no exaggeration. My whole life — years and years of tournament fishing — has been pointed towards next February.

Go visit, it's a good read.

Story of Mark Davis returning to the BASS Elite Series... If they have Davis for a pittance in BASS fantasy bass fishing, which they should do to his two year absense, you can bet he'll be in my line up. I am hoping his value will be 8 or below.

Yesterday, I was looking at the 2008 Tournament Schedule on Classic Bass (Classic Bass is the definitive web-site for Minnesocold bass tournament fishing). While browsing the tournaments I began to think about whether or not I should think about trying to fish some bass tournaments this summer as a non-boater/co-angler. It would be good for my health if I get out more than I did last summer and I'm thinking that fishing tournaments might give me a little bit more motivation to get out and fish.

Does the BP really need motivation to go fishing?

The answer to that after 2006 most definitely is yes. Last year I did do a fair amount of fishing from shore in the Spring, but once the hotter weather hit in June I just was not finding the energy needed hook the boat up and go. I have been finding it harder and harder to deal with the hot weather since my heart attack in 2003 and this really messes with my energy level and motivation. Maybe if I am looking foreward to tournament fishing some of this negative trend can be reversed; That's my theory any way.

The tournaments with Co-Anglers are the Silverado Tour, ABA Bassmaster Weekend Series, the new Minnesota Federation of Bass Anglers Series, and the new Excel Elite Pro/AM.

The Silverado Tour is pretty much the Premier Pro/Am Circuit in Minnesota, which means it's the most hardcore and most expensive at $200 a tourny for AM's. Their Am slots are already filled.

I believe the ABA Bassmaster Weekend Series is going into it's third year and provides opportunties to advance beyond just the 4 tour events. They have TOC, regional, and national. Hellabass and his dad fish this tour and really seem to like it. While I could probably afford to fish this tour I think all the travel would wear me down.

The MFBA has a series of 4 tournaments that would be a little lighter on the travel for me but is still more than what I am looking for at this point.

That obviously leaves the Excel Elites which are run by a former fishing partner Joel Stokka. They will only be having 2 tournaments (Leech July 27) and (Whitefish Chain Aug.31) both of which don't require extensive travel time for me. I love the idea of fishing the heavy cover in Leech and there is a lot of Bass to be caught on the Whitefish Chain. I am seriously considering these tournaments.

1 comment:

HellaBass said...

I encourage you to dip your toes & try some tournaments. You could also do the regular ABA tournaments, where you can fish as a non-boater, but not as an Am. Pretty inexpensive.

Also consider checking out a local bass club....