Friday, August 21, 2009

Leech Lake Bass Snatcher Club Tournament Tomorrow


We are taking to Minnesota's 3rd biggest lakes at 113,000acres. The forecast is for the wind to be light and out of the SE, which is the best direction you can have. I really hope the forecast is right because getting bounced around on a long run stinks and everybody in the club will have to make a long run on big water because of where we are blasting off and weighing in.

Leech has a great reputation as a walleye, muskie, and bass fishery but only certain area's of the lake hold bass, most of the lake doesn't. The bass tend to have a good average size with some true lunkers. The record 6 fish bag for the Bass Snatchers club (22lbs 9ozs) came on Leech in July of 2006. My boater Bill was the one who caught that bag.

The scuttlebutt is that the bass mostly in wild rice, reeds, or undercut bog banks. Wild rice and reeds requires heavy gear and muscling fish. My partner says it will be a lot like fishing Platte Lake, which suits me just fine. Hopefully the fish will be jumping on topwater slop frogs, otherwise you have to flip and pitch for them. My big rods are ready to rock. I also have a couple of swim jig rods rigged up.

Hopefully I can nab a few big fish, get a limit, and nab a Top 10. It may take as much as 14lbs to get a Top 10.

Bonus- Once again it is going to be a mild day temperature wise and for that I am grateful.

No comments: