Friday, August 07, 2009

Bass Snatchers Pelican Tournament Preview

Tomorrow is my Bass Snatchers Bass Club tournament at Pelican Lake near Breezy Point MN. Pelican is a fairly large lake at 8,253 acres. I did not pre-fish and I have never been on the lake before but I understand it has very clear water with secchi readings in excess of 12 feet even in August. My boater Dennis is one of the best fishermen in the club. He has won Mr. Bass, Club AOY, 4 times including last year and in 2006. I fished with Dennis at last years final tournament of the year on Mission Lakes. Dennis won a club tournment on Pelican in late August 2004. If possible Dennis likes to fish deep and Pelican has lots of deep structure. Dennis did pre-fish and he thinks he has a couple of good schools of fish located.

I have 7 rods rigged and going with me. My primary plan is to throw the same exposed hook tube I used at the last tournament on Lake Ida. Apparently the weeds are not very dense so an exposed hook should work out OK. If not I can go to jignpigs (3 rods) or texas rig a tube or Beaver on the tube rod. I also have a rod for topwaters/chatter jigs, a spining rod for jigworms/paddletails, and a drop shot rod.

I hope that I can keep up with what Dennis catches and put myself in the Top 10 on the day. (Note: Dennis beat me by 5lbs at Mission)

1 comment:

Pelican Cases said...

I hope everything went well in the tournament, and that you were able to keep up with Dennis. Personally I have never been fishing and caught something, but the peacefulness and the quiet of the sea always make the trip worth while. In total I have gone fishing about 4 times in my life, but still get as excited as a child when someone comes up with a fish. Hope to see some pictures up soon from the tournament, and I will check back in the near future for newer tournaments that you entered.