Thursday, April 24, 2008

Platte Lake OPEN!?! Skunked @ GOMH

I am making today the official Platte Lake open water date for 2008 baring further developments. There could be further developments because all the area lakes had a dense layer of fog hovering above the water. The fog was so thick that I could not see the surface of the water for 100 yards. I did not see any ice and so I am calling Platte Lake ice free. As it was getting pretty dark a cold front came through and the fog blew off the lake so a good amount of visibility was restored. In the dark I headed to the Platte Public Access and I could not see any ice from there where last night the ice was totally obvious.

Fishing Report: I headed to check the lakes and go fish the GOMH around 7PM. It had stopped sprinkling by the time I started fishing and it must have been over 60 degrees. I tried the Pink Panzer and White Panzer without success. I tried a glow Cubby Mini-Mite with a pink gulp maggot and did not get any bites. I did take some time out from fishing to "clear some brush" from the lake shore so that more area of the shore was fishable. Despite knocking down most of the tall weeds, there are significant sized weed mats in the water lining the shore which will make landing fish, especially bigger one's, difficult. I made the SE shore much more fishable than it has been in the past couple of years. When it got to dark to see my bobber I left.

The Weather: Today it rained for most of the day but temps were mild in the 60's. The mild temps are not going to last. It is going to be getting cold and accumulating snow is in the forcast, Ugh! Since the crappies did not show up at the GOMH tonight my guess is that it is going to be a while. Last year the crappies were in 3 days after ice off. I will still try for them but sassafrass sucitash.

No comments: