Friday, April 18, 2008

Bait Monkey, Get Me To The Lake & Trophy Update


Bait Monkey: These are the 5 new reels I bought this year. I put 3 of them on rods today and spooled them with line. Each rod already had a reel on it so they were swapped out and will be sent out for a professional cleaning and repairs if needed. It is amazing how beat up the Team Daiwa S-103 reels that I have been using for the past few years look; they really don't hold up well cosmetically. Tomorrow I will get to the other two reels.

"GET ME TO THE LAKE": According to the DNR there are now 22 lakes with ice out and they are as far north as Ramsey County in the Twin Cities. All of the monitered Southern MN lakes are ice free.

Today I did make it to the Grumpy Old Man Hole and threw a few casts. The Platte side of it has 50 to 100 feet of open water, there were two Loons on that side when I arrived. The Sullivan side has a good 150 yards of open water and the whole GOMH area is ice free from shore to shore. There were lots of Ducks and Geese swimming about farther out where the ice is. The water on the lakes has come up at least 8 inches and I think may be higher than it was at any point next year. As for the rest of the lake the ice really hasn't even begun to pull away from shore yet. There is water between the ice and shore because of how much the water has come up. The ice looked plenty fishable yet to me. At this point I highly doubt the ice will be off by Tuesday the 22nd, but sometime later next week might happen.

The Boat: Instead of getting all my stuff out of the boat and bringing it home we just pulled the boat from the lake place to here. As it turned out there were two Vault bottles left over from last Fall with Pete. Fortunatly they did not burst and the one I drank tasted just fine.

No comments: